Tuesday, April 4, 2017

rain warning

The grey sky is low over our heads today and weeping a drizzle of cold rain. Spring at its worst. The sky is pressing down on me, squeezing out any energy gained by a long night's sleep. In fact, the thought of retreating to bed and pulling the covers over my head is tempting. I'll wait and see how I feel after my second coffee.

I was reading a blog post from a year ago that talked about the sludge in my brain and that I was certain it was temporary… it seems that I was slightly wrong as I still don't seem to be sharp. I think it might be due to an increase in meds that happened a year ago so I'm trying to reduce back to pre levels. It might do the trick, if I can just get to sleep and avoid a cascade of other problems. It is all woven into a tight ball of yarn, but look out if the kitten gets ahold of it!

Sunday was a lovely day at home alone in the sun. But as the hours passed I started thinking about a burger from 'the Works'. I pounced on Carm as soon as he got home and luckily I caught him when he was hungry. A flurry of texts to Jo Ellen and we had a meeting time and place. Oh heavenly burger, you are so yum.

Yesterday we went for a drive, passing the abattoir in St. Albert. I wanted some bones for the dogs but they weren't supposed to be open. As luck would have it they were working overtime on some orders and passed me a huge bag of bones for $10 (a deal for them I'm sure). Bella went to work on hers right away, I tied Spike on the front deck and he chewed his, but Kabira tossed hers around her crate trying to bury it. Silly girl would have ended up with a nose like Spike so I just took it away from her. Maybe today she'll be more inclined to nosh.

The bones clean their teeth so well, but I'm afraid I was remiss on giving them for many months which allowed the tartar to build up. I scraped some of it with a dental pick and the rest has been cleaned up by the bones that I've been giving in the last few weeks. Their teeth aren't pearly white, but they are old dogs so I guess they are okay. A side effect is no bad doggy breath.

"Gentle Spring's around the corner,
     Waiting just to show her face
     And to bring us flowers and sunshine;
     Winter's almost run his race!
Be not, then, my friends, discouraged
     That there's cold and ice and sleet;
     For Springtime soon will be with us,
     And the flowers we will greet:
Daffodils, so bright and yellow,
     Hyacinths of varied hues,
     As they nod their heads, in gladness,
     Telling us they bring good news..."
~Gertrude Tooley Buckingham

No comments: