Saturday, July 7, 2018

a trip back in time

We took a trip back to 2013 last night, starting with a bottle of Pinot Noir that we released from the depths of the cellar. I had schlepted it back from New Zealand in 2013, a special treat for Carm for holding down the fort while I was gone. And a special treat it was. I dug out our fancy wine glasses (it isn't right to drink a fine wine out of an Italian styled tumbler!). The ruby red liquid seemed to glow in the delicate crystal. We savored every sip.

Later in the evening I was channel surfing and saw that 'Les Miserable' was on. I knew Carm wasn't keen on the movie but tuned in anyway. He hasn't seen the movie but remembers the play which was long and insufferable, even to me. But I made him suffer as it kept with the 2013 trip to NZ theme - Kirsten and I watched it on their big screen projector and then tried to sing our way through the next day. We had lots of laughs. Oh, did I mention that it is a musical? I love the movie - possibly because I saw it there and with Kirsten, but also because it is a great movie, perhaps one of my favorites. It isn't at all the sort of movie I would expect to love as it is dark and gritty, but there are so many interesting and compelling themes throughout the movie.

Anyway, Carm suffered through a big portion of it - emersed in the newest copy of 'The Economist' to shield himself from the never-ending singing. To his credit, he didn't complain once.


We had a delishously cool night last night. The window was open and a refreshing breeze was buffeting the curtains. What a treat after days of stuffiness. I'll bet my friends with no a/c were delighted to have a good sleep!


The fencerows are a riot of tall grasses and wild flowers, some not so nice (wild parsnip), while others are like white lace (Queen Anne's Lace). Bits of colour intermingle. I meandered around the yard looking for blooms to include in a little posy to decorate the coffee table - a little bit of summer captured in a jar. Sure, there is the odd bug, but those are easily taken care of.


The pool was a full 10F colder than it was two days ago - there was a time (two weeks ago), that 80F would be considered hot... today it was just shy of 80 and it felt quite cool and very refreshing, but I couldn't help but yearn for those warmer temps. It is easy to acclimate!


"Red: the blood of angry men!
Black: the dark of ages past!
Red: a world about to dawn!
Black: the night that ends at last!"
~Les Miserables


No comments: