Friday, August 24, 2018

in denial

It seems like just the other day that I was rhapsodising about my swim after the treadmill. I enjoyed day after day of near delerium as the sensation of cool against hot skin washed over me. Yesterday, not so much. I got as far as sitting on the top step of the ladder and then chickened out. The water was a crisp 69F/21C and I just couldn't convince myself that I'd survive the shock. This morning I finished exercising later in the day (60 min on the treadmill!), so the water had warmed up to 72F... cold, but do-able.

Yes, there is no denying it... summer is coming to a close. Oh, there might be another week of swimming, but with the nights getting colder, realistically, who knows. Today it is 29C, so we can still delude ourselves.


It has been an uneventful week. Company on Saturday night (Jim & Cathey) entertained us for one short evening, but since then it has just been the two of us. Not that this is a bad thing. Carm has golfed a few times, we've been to the grocery store a few times, and once into the city to change my Koodo phone plan to a pre-paid plan which will likely save me $20 or more a month.

I saw the AVON lady and later tried out my new bubble bath for washing cabinet doors and floors - the lavender scent made it nice to work with, and it did a bang-up job on cleaning.

We went to liquidation cause I was looking for another skort like the one I have worn almost everyday this summer. It is a silky black fabric which wears well, and feels like a dream - I wanted one to send to Kirsten in NZ. I hope she will like it as much as I've liked mine. It is seriously almost as comfortable as wearing nothing at all, and much more decent for running out the door with the dogs. I never in a million years thought that I would wear a skirt around the house - I rarely wear one going out - but this is just too comfortable.


We've been eating scads of tomatoes: bacon & tomato sandwiches, tomato salad with black olives & basil, tomato salad with feta. And sopping up all the juices with big crusty buns from DiRienzo's in Little Italy. Oh yeah.... so, so good. If you crush the tomatoes slightly when you are tossing them, it makes a nice tomato juice for dunking.

When Cathey was here last Saturday I planned to serve 'Creamy Italian Lentils' that I make in the instant pot. Cathey has had a pot for 1 1/2 years but was too scared to try it, so I waited till she was here to make the lentils. I think she got her courage with the demo as the next morning I got a phone call from her with a few questions. She was making the lentils herself :-) Once she gets the hang of it she'll wonder what took her so long.


"You don't have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces - just good food from fresh ingredients.” 
~Julia Child


No comments: