Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Avengers

The sky was a brilliant, almost fluorescent, blue this morning and the sun shone yellow and bright. Birds sang, hidden in the tree branches - on a nest perhaps? A flash of red caught my eye… Carlito, one of our resident Cardinals dashed from one spruce tree to the next. A robin hopped on the grass. The grass was green, and along the south side of the house I could see the sunny orbs of dandelions. It’s not green day yet, but gosh it’s close… maybe tomorrow.



I was outside opening the gate for Carm to go golfing, a pleasure for him, and a bit of one for me too. I had the house to myself - quiet for a while - music for the rest. Right now I’m playing ‘Best of Chet Atkins’, a wonderful album of guitar music, with special appearances by Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits. It is so mellow that I might fall asleep.

Before Chet, I was playing some Reggae which got me up washing windows and sinks and other bits and bobs. The sun and music were all the motivation I needed to tear myself away from some reading.


Yes, I did remove Anne Frank from my reading list, but it was too late. A night spent tossing and turning, imagining what life (and death), must have been like for her and millions of others. I think the power of her story is that she is a normal 13 year old girl that writes about her dreams for the future as well as everyday trials (although how could it be everday when you are living in hiding fearing for your life). Aside from her worry about getting shot and fears for her friends that were taken away on trains to who knows what end, it could have been me or you writing… but we know the ending for her and it is too brutal to even imagine. How could such an awful thing happen? Where is our humanity? What sort of people would perform such atrocities? Even writing about it makes me want to cry for the lost souls.

It’s possible that part of my distress overnight was because I forgot to take my pills at bedtime. One of their side effects is making me want to sleep, which when I took them the next morning, was a bad thing - I had to go back to bed for a few hours till some of the effect wore off.

But I was up in time to make the movie! ‘The Avengers End Game’ was great and that’s all I’ll say about it as I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. I did like that it wasn’t 100% fighting but had some other aspects which were enjoyable.

No comments: