Tuesday, June 1, 2021

stalled at Kirsten's

 The title of an old book that I periodically re-read has snugged a place in my mind these past few days. It’s been cool, almost cold, but the mornings: still air, birdsong, and bright sun have hollered out ‘the perfection of the morning’ ‘the perfection of the morning’ over and over again. At 6am I’m ½ asleep but the beauty wakes at least part of my brain. And then I go back to bed...


Saturday we ventured out beyond our neighborhood to pick up some rubber stall mats. These 4’x6’ sheets of rubber will make a great patio for the villetta when it’s parked at Kirsten’s - if the stench of rubber goes away. Since we were closer to Kirsten’s than home we dropped the stack off there and had a ‘distancing’ cup of tea and a scone with K’s family. It was SO WONDERFUL to see them all.


We had the dogs with us. Adia was great while Spike seemed confused and disoriented. Hopefully once we have the trailer there he’ll get a bearing. I know for sure that I won’t be letting him off his leash as he’d likely get lost.


All this after dealing with a poopmagedin before we left Saturday morning… poor Spike was stuck in his crate and had an accident… he trampled it into the blankets, squishing it between his toes. Yikes.



Sunday we assembled the new giant deck box. Seriously, this thing could easily be a spare bedroom! Initially we put it where the old one had been, but it dominated the space so we’ve tucked it in beside the house where it doesn’t loom over the whole deck.



After the construction project we had Trudie & Leo over for a laneway visit. 


Monday I puttered around, not doing much at all, mostly I just moved stuff from one location to another. I’m dragging my butt for some reason but can’t think why I’d feel this exhausted.


Adia loves these days of spending time outside. She noses around with the occasional zoom to burn off that ridgeback energy. She’s good though, mostly sticking around me. I was saying to Carm that for some things she’s a better dog than Bella and Kabira were. Bella would get into hunting mode and would be so focused on her prey that we would cease to exist, while Kabira prefered to lie on the deck (if she wasn’t hunting with Bella). Spike would be hunting too, disappearing quickly if he wasn’t tied up. It’s fun having Adia out with us - she is so full of joie de vivre that it’s hard not to feel a little bit of the same joy.


I folded the piles of fabric but also dug up some pillow filler so I haven’t given up on sewing yet!   


Carm’s tomatoes may have been wiped out.



This morning it was haircut day for Spike (I did Carm the other afternoon). Spike was very fluffy and hot all the time so it was overdue. I didn’t clue into how long his hair was until we were at Kirsten’s. The de-puffing didn’t go well, Carm had to wrestle him the whole time. But he’s done and seems more energetic already. If only he had the mental ability to connect feeling better with getting a haircut. Alas, he does not.


Everytime he shuffles around looking lost and confused my heart breaks a tiny bit more.



Awesome!


“the excitement of going somewhere”

“seeing Kirsten and family”

“looking at where we are going to park the camper for the summer!”

“Adia running around with a big grin on her face”

“realizing that mentally I feel great”

“the awesome flavour of a leaf of arugula plucked from the garden”

“it was a perfect night for supper outside”

No comments: