Thursday, September 30, 2021

3 generations

 The mercury in the villetta registered at 15C Wednesday morning. Piles of blankets covered Spike and Adia were burrowed into a thick comforter, I was snug under my dounduna… but throwing back the covers to go outside was a feat of immense bravery. 




The sun barely peeked from behind thick clouds and an icy wind blew all day. The second last day of September threw a taste of the winter at us. Yuck. Meanwhile, Mom and Kirsten worked hard at weeding and trimming, I pulled the odd bit of grass, but honestly I was useless. I don’t know why but I felt sick, perhaps from a night of insomnia? 


I’m useless in the garden but I could at least put a few meals in front of people - yah, that’s my excuse for slipping away! And then there was the 2 hour nap that I took...



It has been 2 years since Mom and I had our last Mother Daughter night and forever since we’ve had one with Kirsten. Luckily Shenna was also able to be with us so we had 3 generations connecting over an aperol spritz. Love.


After another cold but cosy night I am home. 


Dogs are happy to have the extra room although they did seem to enjoy stretching out in front of the ‘fireplace’. They were pretty well behaved overall but I’ve got to work on getting out of the camper one dog at a time. I can get Adia to stay for several seconds but it’s hard. She has to wait while I lift out Spike and put him down. On the first day Spike got ahead of me at the door and tumbled down the stairs to the ground. My heart was in my throat but he got up and carried on. He’s a brave little dog.


Sometimes you do things that you quickly regret… that was me a few days ago when I asked Spike to find my socks. It was so sad to see him walk around without a glimmer of a memory of bringing them to me everyday for years. Not a glimmer. There was however a glint of tears in my eyes watching him struggle. Well, not struggle, he had no idea that he was supposed to do anything.


The same thing has happened when Mom or Jo Ellen are around. In the past he would go CRAZY to see them… now… nothing. At least he’s gotten over his intense dislike of being picked up. He seems happy enough overall so we’ll just continue to support him as best we can. 


Thank goodness he has Adia.



Awesome!


“arriving at my destination”

“girls night in the trailer”

“Spike sleeping in”

“purple asters in the field”

“Adia zooming past me at full speed”

No comments: