Monday, September 12, 2022

buried treasures

 It’s been a busy few days with friends and family. Friday we had Pat over for lunch on the patio to celebrate her birthday. It was a lovely day to be outside.



Saturday we putzed around the house, enjoying the hot day and getting things ready for a night at the villetta. We arrived at Kirsten’s around 3 which left us plenty of time to get things cleaned up (but I forgot to vacuum). Kirsten & Shawn came over for a late supper of ravioli with a sauce made from the last of the cherry tomatoes and basil from the garden.


Sunday we visited with K&S over coffee and then hit the road around 11am. We got home and immediately dunked ourselves in the cold waters of the pool. Not too long after we got a text from Stephanie asking if we wanted to meet them at the flea market… we’d been planning on an afternoon of reading and relaxation but a picnic was too good to pass up. Funnily I’d been thinking about McCaffies the day before, wondering if we’d ever go again. It seems that the answer was ‘tomorrow’!



And luck would have it, I made a find as soon as we got there - I’d been planning a trip to home hardware in the near future for a few jars with the metal clasp lids - I found 3 for $5 - what luck. I bought another random thing that was a great find.


Another chippie has been transported bringing the total to 12! And one mouse met its maker last night. Save the cushions!!!


My plan for today was a bit of herb harvesting and then an afternoon lazing outside but alas. Workers are swarming the bridge with asphalt and loud beeping backing trucks. The smell of tar hangs heavy in the air. Mixed with summer scents it's a weird smell of summers long past, pleasant for a moment and then cloying. I did chop up some parsley, sage, rosemary, but no thyme into a fragrant mix of flavour (I did sneak in a bit of oregano). I froze it in baggies so that I can break off chunks to add to meat or soups.



I have a container of meds at the trailer but I forgot that I needed a ½ dose of the lithium so dropped down another quarter to 300mg. So far so good. No nausea, no mania, or anything else that might be related. Maybe a bit more trouble sleeping and perhaps more vivid nightmares. Or maybe that horror show in my brain was a fluke. Or maybe the bad dreams were triggered by the creepy dolls at the flea market!


I’ve been plagued by a body getting older these last few days… a stark reminder that I’m about to turn 60. I squatted down to do something or other and my knee, well, not exactly my knee but a muscle around there, protested wildly. I had trouble getting up. It’s a move that I do a million times a day without thought. Sadly, a replay again today a few times. A nasty reminder of my upcoming birthday…


Lupa chews her benebone for hours every day.





Awesome!


“arriving at the villetta and seeing Kirsten”

“Shawn on his lift”

“seeing Olaf & Stephanie across the parking lot at the flea market”

“picnic”

"The way the dogs look at me as if I am the greatest person in the world"

“preview of my birthday present”


No comments: