Wednesday, October 19, 2022

we made it to her first birthday

 It was one little scruffy dog’s first birthday on Monday… I can’t believe we made it! For the first few weeks (months?) I wasn’t sure if I’d ever love her but time and cuddles have changed that. She’s a funny little thing that brings little bits of joy and laughter into our lives every day. Oh, she still gets into things - chewing fabric is her worst transgression but hopefully soon she’ll grow out of that.


Today Lupa got a full haircut which was nowhere as odious as clipping the poodles - with Carm’s help we were done in less than ½ hour. I left her legs longer but they may have to be shaved down in a few days - we’ll see how good we are at brushing them!


Her coat shines.



Monday I had invited Trudie & Leo for a fish supper on Tuesday night but they got mixed up and showed up at the door on Monday night! Luckily for all of us I was making a prime rib with trimmings and with a bit of clever carving and a dig through the freezer and pantry we even had leftovers!



The fish supper was tonight - Roy, the deck builder, gave us three huge chunks of smallmouth bass this summer and since I have NO idea how to prepare them I stuck them in the freezer until I could get Trudie here to help me :-)


We had a feast with onion mushroom soup, fish, roasted acorn squash, garlic rice and Trudie’s sourdough buns… Trudie brought some sugar free zucchini bread for dessert.


The last lithium reduction is going really well now that I’m through the first week. It’s 3 days now since I’ve had any recordable feelings of doom. I woke up singing again this morning - an old song from ‘Song of the South’ has taken over my brain.


Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay

My, oh, my, what a wonderful day

Plenty of sunshine headin' my way

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!


I read a little bit about the background of the movie and learned that even back in the day it was controversial. Some black people liked it while others thought the characters were stereotyped. The story itself took place after the civil war so slavery had been abolished, but it is sad to note that ‘Uncle Remus’ was unable to attend the opening screening as it took place in Atlanta which was segregated.


I haven’t seen the movie since I was a little girl and at the time did not understand the conflict.


yesterday I clipped just her chin. Cute but it all had to go.


Carm has caught 10 mice in the front of the trailer so far!!! Next year we are investing in a vittles vault for overflow bags of kibble. Who knows how many stashes of kibble are cached around the camper though… I suspect there are pockets in the walls. I have no idea how they got into the clothes drawer.



Awesome!


“waking up with a song on my lips”

“dogs racing in the field”

“no fish bones!”


No comments: