Monday, October 30, 2023

harsh white light

 I could tell before the curtain was fully open (and my eyes for that matter!),  that overnight winter sent a frosty tendril to dust the world with snow. Ugh. The harsh white light was an assault after months of golden light warmed by the green of the grass and more recently the amber glow of fall leaves. I was slightly prepared for the white ground in that some photo memories over the last few days showed snow in previous years around the end of October, but I held out a weak hope that this year, winter would forsake us. Alas.



The sodden grey skies are threatening to drag me under so I've been having to dredge up energy and motivation… oh, it was sunny on Saturday (and gosh I had so much more energy), but leading up to and following, the grey threatens to engulf me. 


Every day we've inched forward towards having all the hatches battened down for winter. Last Thursday we got the garlic planted - all 160 cloves! Carm did the bulk of the work sticking them into the ground while I stood around giving moral support and staging cloves. We had to break apart most of this year's bulbs to glean the biggest cloves - they were harder to find than last year - but it's in the ground and none too soon!



Friday we putzed around some more - I made myself get into the kitchen to make a beef stew for supper along with yorkshire pudding, etc. Trudie & Leo joined us for an early evening gathering around the table. It's dark at supper time again so out came the batteries for my candles and we reset the wifi bulbs for more light… Tonight I might add some real candles to the tablescape for a bit more ambience.


Saturday was sunny and warm! I took the opportunity to wash all the surfaces inside the camper (although to be honest I didn't get out the step stool so if you are really tall you will see dust). Then, with a flourish that bordered on sadness, closed the slides for another winter. While I was doing that, Carm was busy putting the pool to bed.


We got everything done in time to make a lentil soup - Cathey came for a sunny lunch (lemony lentil soup & naan). I made a mistake with Lupa when Cathey arrived. Lupa has been doing better when guests come, but Saturday she was way over threshold. Usually we head to the kitchen island while I finish up cooking which gives Lupa a chance to calm down, but Cathey went to the sofa and sat down - unfortunately Lupa was still hysterical so jumped all over her… lesson learned - no sitting on the sofa until she has burned through her excitement. It usually only takes a few minutes for her brain to return to normal.


I had a bit of leftover energy on Sunday from the sun the day before and since we were going to Trudie & Leo's for supper I wanted to make something to bring. I started off making walnut bread but then decided that chickpea brownies would be better for Leo. I hadn't made them for years! They are sweetened with ripe banana and medjool dates (add a few more dates next time) and instead of flour uses chickpeas. They turned out moist and delicious - a semi healthy treat :-) and maybe good breakfast food!


I honestly don't know how I would cope if I didn't like to cook, but I need to spend more time making healthy food rather than bread and cake! Since mid September I've gained 4 pounds :-( I read that it's not unusual to gain weight in the fall and it is in fact programmed into our DNA to eat more to get ready for a long winter hibernation. Excuse? Perhaps! Time to surf for plant-based recipes.



Tonight we are snuggled on the sofa after a warm supper of leftover soup and toasted walnut bread with stilton cheese and a glass of bubbles to celebrate/commiserate (?) being ready for winter and the first snow. 😀 



Awesome!


“grilled cheese sandwiches on day old homemade bread - so crispy and saturated with butter”

“everything in the camper done”

“garlic planted!”

“lots of company”

“little grey dog snuggled up against my legs on a cold morning”

“getting on the treadmill for 20 minutes”

“blue glasses embellished with gold”

No comments: