Sunday, January 31, 2021

an exquisite confection

 Looking at the date of my last blog post it seems that I’ve dropped off the edge of the earth. Not so! Nor have I been wallowing in a grey mire. Quite the opposite! I’m cheerful and content - how could that be? I have no idea but I’m going with it!


Carm of course has to bear the brunt of my good mood. Subjected to bad singing and even worse dancing, he averts his eyes and probably covers his ears, but even so, doesn’t make me feel stupid or self concious. He’s a good husband.



You may remember that at the beginning of January I decided to cut carbs (sugar, flour, rice, potatoes), which I have mostly done. I only lost a few pounds but at least I was back to pre Christmas cookie marathon weight (more or less). I could double down and make more of an effort to reduce calories BUT. I had a dream the other night that perfectly put into words what I’m feeling. Yes, I’d like to lose weight, but more important than that is keeping myself mentally well. Cooking does that for me. Now is not the time to take draconian measures.



To that end, we got a set of silicone ‘egg bite’ molds for the instant pot. The package arrived on Friday - I immediately made ‘Starbucks copycat egg bites’ - a perfect low-carb breakfast - easy to make and can be refrigerated or frozen. Here’s where we take a turn to the dark side… cheesecake bite recipes abound and gosh, these silicone thingamajigs should be good for more than one thing.


This is a terrible discovery! Just the name makes them wicked - it’s just a bite after all! I made the second batch today. They are super easy but somehow use every utensil and bowl in the kitchen. Maybe that will put me off - ha! Fat chance!


we’ve eaten them so fast that I haven’t made a topping yet! Next time I’ll swirl some jam or something to make them look pretty.


Kirsten mentioned that she’d read an article about cbd being good for hot flashes, apparently the cbd interacts with the same areas as temperature control. I’m on day 3 with mixed results.


The weather has been super cold (-26C at 7am this morning) but at least we’ve had a few days of sun! A blessing!



“I suspect music is auditory cheesecake, an exquisite confection crafted to tickle the sensitive spots of... our mental faculties.”

~Steven Pinker

No comments: