Friday, January 1, 2021

Happy New Year 2021

 Happy New Year! Has there ever been a New Year as anticipated as this one? Not in my lifetime. Of course Covid isn’t going to disappear at the stroke of midnight but there is hope for better days. Maybe not for many months but a return to somewhat normal seems possible now.


My last few days of 2020 were spent preparing all manner of finger foods for a virtual party. It was Olaf’s idea and it was a good one. My mood immediately brightened when we talked about it - I had purpose. I need to make sure I keep a bit of anticipation in my days - that’s my NY resolution.


Finally, with food and drinks made and Carm and I gussied up (he even wore a tie!), at 6pm the party started. Mom and Dad joined in right away, Kirsten and family joined later in the evening. We were in some sort of fun time warp as somehow seven (yes 7!) hours passed before we hung up.


I made sugarless cranberry juice so we had that with prosecco and Aperol for a sparkly drink. Cans and cans of soda water stretched the drinks out for the whole 7 hours.



We all nibbled our appetizers in our own homes - I made way, way too much food so we are nibbling today as well (but have to pace ourselves - prime rib and all the fixings tonight). Note to self: virtual means that there won’t be 10 physical people to eat everything. If we have to do it again, and maybe for a not so special occasion, we should coordinate our bites and ‘share’ them at the same time. That would be fun.


sequins and bling are mandatory for New Years Eve


After a series of stupidities in getting clips for my phone to attach to a tripod, I ended up with one that 100% does not work for my phone but is pretty awesome at setting my tablet at the perfect position for a virtual visit. It seems a bit late in coming but I guess late is better than never. And with winter here we’ll likely do more online visits with friends and family. The original clip that I was using at Christmas? Well, in a brilliant flash of ingenuity it’s working with my phone with the cover on…


will the masks come off for good in 2021?


We had an extra bit of fun yesterday afternoon with Jo Ellen, Don, Trudie and Leo dropping in for a short laneway visit. We got the chairs out and everyone had a blanket so it was reasonably comfortable and SO much better than forgoing altogether. I should have served mulled wine or some other hot spiced drink. Cause really - who doesn’t like hot wine 🤣 



"Hope is the thing with feathers

That perches in the soul

And sings the tune without the words

And never stops at all.”

~Emily Dickinson




No comments: