Monday, July 24, 2023

july in a flash

 The days since I last wrote have flown by! July has passed in the blink of an eye. We spent 2 weekends ago at the trailer, then home for 2 days, cooking like crazy for supper for 11 people, back to Kirsten’s for a family gathering with Uncle Graham, home for 2 days, cooking like crazy for 12 people, at Kirsten’s for another night with most of the family again, and now home, exhausted and ready for a few days of leisure!


What have I been cooking? Well, for the first weekend at Kirsten’s I made black-eyed pea burgers and some salads (bean maybe?), for the second visit Kirsten made chicken and I brought roasted zucchini, a Thai noodle salad (that took me ages to get right) and the cinnamon cake, then for Saturday I brought roast beef for sandwiches, focaccia, roasted potatoes, and a broccoli salad. Since cherries are super cheap these days I made a double batch of chocolate chip cherry blondies - they were delicious so I made an extra tray for the freezer. Lots of leftovers, except for the desserts! Our family has a sweet tooth!


We came home yesterday and did a little update to the pergola to make getting the shade easier to get up. Today we brought the shade back down as there is a severe thunderstorm warning AGAIN!


After taking so long to actually produce, the zucchini has gone crazy! And the tomatoes have started. I foresee a bit of googling on ways to use zucchini! Tomorrow I’ll make a zucchini salad with some beans; today I roasted 2 big ones and tossed with pasta & grated cheese for a weak take on Stanley Tucci’s dish. And the tomatoes! Tomorrow we’ll have the first of tomato & bacon sandwiches :-)


The Thai basil is also going crazy (when I can keep it watered enough - those things are thirsty!)... I trimmed one of the big ones this afternoon.



Awesome!


“seeing Uncle Graham”

“family”

“a bright sunny day”

“the amazing yellow of a summer squash”

“heaps of Thai basil”


No comments: