Friday, July 28, 2023

wild weather

 It’s 11am Friday… we are sitting outside enjoying the wind rustling the leaves of the trees that shelter the deck. It’s hot and stinking humid - it feels like I’m wearing a wet flannel shirt but! I’m not complaining… We put the sunshade up but will take it down again this afternoon - ANOTHER severe thunderstorm is in the forecast for later… with the possibility of golf ball sized hail and a tornado. Jeesh!


Earlier, I dashed out to the hairdresser to get some of my hair lobbed off - Pamela was busy with another waiting so I took a chance on Debbie who hasn’t cut my hair before - she did good!


I’ll admit to being a lazy slug these last few days… aside from making focaccia yesterday and a clafouti with the excess cherries the day before (less than $2/lb!). Today or tomorrow I’ll make a cherry cake. The house needs a good vacuum and dust but I’m procrastinating on that - we’ll hold off until company is coming ;-)


It was a glut of zucchini the other day but after the pasta dish we are left with only a few small ones. Time to make another bean/zucchini salad!



I mentioned bacon and tomato sandwiches on my last post - well, we had our first 2 nights ago - I made one with focaccia, bacon, horseradish garlic mayo, lettuce, and of course, a thick slice of tomato straight from the garden and to gild the lily: thinly sliced rare roast beef. OMG! It was fantastic and a sure 5/5. If I got this in a restaurant I’d be blown away. Hence, another tray of focaccia made yesterday and popped into the freezer for the next round of unctuous garlicky sandwiches 🤪


The highlight of the week was lunch with Mom, Kirsten, and Shenna, at Red Lobster. Mom wanted to get her fill of seafood while she can still eat real food plus I was way overdue on the lunch I promised Mom for her birthday. We all gorged ourselves on shrimp and lobster - I had the endless shrimp which I did no justice to! It was all so delicious but gosh, so rich and filling.



After lunch we mooched around Value Village looking for deals. I didn’t find anything (gasp!) but Kirsten found a brown leather purse - she checked online and it was worth over $100! Shenna picked up a few clothes, including a black velvet dress that looked nice on the hanger but wowzers! It was awesome when she tried it on.


… 11:40 and the sky is starting to sock in and the wind is picking up 😱


by 1pm we started getting some showers so we took the sunshade down… we were hardly home from getting the dogs nails done when, wham - we were hammered by wind and rain - it rained so hard that water came through the door! The cover for the sofa was thrown off and pillows went everywhere… Trees were thrashing around and the wind was roaring so we deeked into the closet (long story about not going to the basement). A few more trees down - one big one and 2 small ones. It was wild!


And of course I had a cake in the oven and black-eyed peas on the stove - I did turn off the burner and the oven before deeking into the closet… 


Awesome!


“bacon and tomato sandwich on focaccia”

“hot and muggy summer morning”

“first in line for a haircut”

No comments: