Tuesday, February 6, 2024

equality

 The sun is shining once more! That's two days in a row! The sun streaming into the room is lovely but highlights how f'n dirty the west window is! Note to self… 


I was going to start off saying that it's been another lazy few days, but hold the boat! I did an hour walk with Kirsten yesterday AND today! My legs are still jello and a bit sore but gosh! The blood coursing through my veins got me off my behind later in the afternoon yesterday to make ‘french onion baked lentils and rice’ for supper. I'd had the recipe tagged for ages but there was something about it that I wasn't sure about. 


I usually try to follow a recipe more or less exactly when I make it the first time but this time I took some wild detours… It was supposed to have faro, but I don't have any and have never cooked with it before, so I substituted regular basmati rice. Aside from the onions taking almost an hour to caramelise in the instant pot, it was a relatively easy recipe once I translated it to instant pot techniques and is reasonably healthy except for the gruyere cheese melted on the top at the end. We had it as our main (and should have had a salad with it), but I think it would be a great side for pork or even pured for a dip. I've saved it as a favourite.


Today after our walk I made ‘mushroom walnut pate’... vegan (except I used regular butter). It was easy but took ages. First the sliced mushrooms were cooked in a dry pan until they were turning brown and had released their fluid. Then onions… cook more… then rosemary, walnuts, etc… cook more… then finally puree in the food processor. I kept it a bit chunky as I enjoy the crunch of the walnuts. For the test drive, I toasted some of my nut bran bread and spread it thickly… it was good!


Oh, and on the subject of food - my latest iteration of bread has kept its moisture for a few days now - today it started getting crumbly and cannot be sliced thinly but it still toasts up perfectly. I'm glad I kept notes!


I finished reading a book yesterday where the main character had trauma from spousal rape. Did you know that it was LEGAL in the USA and Canada until the mid 80s for a man to rape his wife, and is still legal in some countries (can you guess which ones!). It’s enraging. Speaking of enraging, we've been watching ‘Lessons in Chemistry’ on Apple TV… it takes place in the late 50s, early 60s - it was an awful time to be a woman. Thankfully life has improved for many of us, but not everywhere and not for everyone. We must keep fighting for equality.


I feel blessed that I don't have to live with that equality.



Awesome!


“another sunny day”

“finally 60 minutes done”

“crazy songs that come up in the playlist that Amazon created for me”

No comments: