Tuesday, April 2, 2024

off the face of the earth

 The wind is howling, sending the clouds racing across the blue sky - it's mostly clear at the moment, but later there will be rain and then snow overnight and all day tomorrow… maybe up to 25cm… it’s been a very strange winter… Carm has been out with the snowblower only 3 times! Luckily he hasn't winterized it yet! 


Unfortunately, this early spring weather has not fired my creativity! As it is, it's been two weeks since my last post - I have no idea how that happened! I’ve had a few things on my mind which has been a distraction, but I can't seem to get my muse dancing in my head - she's sound asleep under the covers somewhere.


My muse might be snoozing, but I haven't been!


I'll step back into time and see what I can remember…


A week ago today, I threw lots of sugar and butter around to make Carm his favourite burnt sugar birthday cake. It was a milestone for him last Wednesday (I can't believe I'm married to a 70 year old man!!!). But as Kirsten said, ‘70 is the new 60’ and I think in Carm's case this couldn't be more true. We celebrated at noon on the 27th with my family via zoom and then again Wednesday night with Bruce & Tina at the Keg. Bruce’s birthday is on the 27th as well so we've had a long tradition of dinners in town with them :-)



Thursday Carm did Costco while I visited with Mom and Dad; Friday I spent the day in the kitchen cooking for Saturday's Easter celebration with the family out at Kirsten's. We were a big crowd of 19 people, and still there were leftovers since Olaf brought a giant bag of hamburgers! It was a group effort with everyone pitching in to help.


Sunday we mooched around the house, feeling lazy and unmotivated! Oh sure, we got a mountain of laundry done, but otherwise… Yesterday I started cooking for next Saturday's party. Cardamom buns (another batch!), and mashed potato cheese puffs are nicely tucked into the freezer. My to-do list has been fine tuned and the menu has been set :-)



In the past 2 weeks, I've walked for an hour almost every day - I’ve only missed 2 days in 35 days! I'm not losing weight, despite calorie counting for weeks but I think I'm changing shape (in a good way)... some spots that were convex are now looking a little concave :-) I feel much stronger and can walk faster for longer.


I've read a few books in the past two weeks: one about the advantages of small dogs and I'm in the middle of a book about how we remember. 



In all that time, we had Pat for supper but otherwise it's been a company wasteland! Our friends probably think we've dropped off the face of the earth! It's not that I've turned anti-social but have hibernated more than usual this winter.



Awesome!


“all the garlic is up”

“pool has thawed! It's 9.5C so not swimming temps yet!”

“a good birthday celebration”

“family together”

No comments: