Saturday, August 26, 2017

common everyday life

Fall has surely arrived. I made a go with the swing (after pre-made a bunch of lunches and suppers), but when the sun skirted behind the clouds I felt a definite chill. I was tempted to bring out a blanket for the cool bits.

It is almost 4pm and I’m inside now watching golf… it is the CP Women's Open which is being played in Ottawa. We have a runner in the race too which makes it as exciting as a game of golf can be (yawn). Too bad that she played earlier in the day before the cameras arrived.

Remember that chili the other day… well… it came out totally runny, more like soup than chili. I was going to drain it but then at the last minute thought of adding rice and cooking it for another 7 minutes. So I divided all but one supper’s worth into containers and added the rice. Fire up the IP and voila. The result was great!

I put one container in the freezer for camping. My plan is to have a few meals in the bag so to speak for our trip so that we keep with the weight loss.

I decided to spice things up a little yesterday and made a trip to Dollarama for some spice jars. The camper cache hadn’t had a good go through for ages but  now they are in matching bottles and filled with fresh herbs and spices. I’ll be motivated to cook when we are out :-)

Just look how exciting my life is. I’ve become obsessed with cooking and finding recipes, but not much else is going on.

a little while later… soup is done and packaged up. Four suppers for fridge/freezer. When it is time to eat: add to instant pot, add mushrooms, frozen veg, and uncooked pasta. Seven minutes on high pressure and supper is ready. (note to self: that’s 7 minutes after it comes up to pressure which might be 20 min if frozen.)

“As the years pass, I am coming more and more to understand that it is the common, everyday blessings of our common everyday lives for which we should be particularly grateful. They are the things that fill our lives with comfort and our hearts with gladness -- just the pure air to breathe and the strength to breath it; just warmth and shelter and home folks; just plain food that gives us strength; the bright sunshine on a cold day; and a cool breeze when the day is warm.”
― Laura Ingalls Wilder

No comments: