Monday, August 21, 2017

these beautiful days

A week has passed since I last wrote. It wasn’t a hectic time, but somehow there was never the time or energy to put my fingers on the keyboard.

We picnicked again, this time after a visit with Carm’s mom. We stopped at a  beach along the Ottawa river and spread out our tablecloth. Pita spread with hummus and jammed with arugula were repeats on the menu, along with bright red cherry tomatoes.  A summer delight. There was a kiosk selling beer and burgers, but we were good.

That was Thursday. What did we do Friday? Can’t remember much except that I made a giant pasta fagioli soup to have on Saturday with guests. Don’t you feel that soups and stews are always better the second day? Saturday I just had to add 4 servings back to the instant pot, add a bunch of vegetables, the pasta, and set the timer for 5 minutes. Voila!

The instant pot makes soups a breeze. I saute the onions and celery right in the pot, then add my spices, dried beans, and any vegetables that I want to over-cook. Turn it on and leave it to do its work. The beans get soft and make a thick broth and the flavours have a chance to meld under the pressure.

We had Jim and Cathey over for supper Saturday. We ate the soup to start and then since Cathey was curious about it, I put the actifry to work and brought out dish after dish of roasted vegetables to nibble on. We had sweet potatoes, regular baby potatoes, green beans, zucchini, mushrooms, and maybe something else that I’m forgetting. We didn’t even leave the table all night.

Sunday we helped my mom get her new bedroom set put together. Carm and Graham huffed and puffed the old mattress and box spring downstairs and the new one upstairs. The headboard and footboards had to come up the stairs. It was heavy work and I’m glad Graham was there to help. And of course Carm is my muscle man.

My mind keeps going to Barcelona and all the people that lost their lives or loved ones, or were injured by the insanity. We were there just a few months ago - one of the clips shows the shop where I bought coasters - it was all bashed in. I know I shouldn’t dwell on it and that the odds of something happening are slim… but...

Now, it is a beautiful sunny day (albeit windy), and I am writing this on the swing. I might go for a swim soon. There are fewer days left of summer than we’ve already had so each day seems more precious than the last.

Then followed that beautiful season... Summer....
Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscape
Lay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood.”
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

No comments: