Sunday, March 18, 2018

beautiful moments

Bright rays of sun are streaming into the living room, a refreshing change from many days of grey gloom. Unfortunately, icy winter weather is the price we are paying. A few days ago it was warm enough for the maple sap to start running, but now it is frozen in the veins of the giant conveyors of sugar.

Despite the number on the thermometer, the dark patches on the laneway continue to increase. Even today there is melting though the temperature hovers around -7C. The sun is strong.

The sky was cloud free yesterday too. I took a break from ‘housework’ to luxuriate in the bathtub. The sun was sparkling on the water, reflecting rainbows of brightness onto the wall. I could lie back and see the bright blue sky. The cardinal pecked at the window. It was the perfect setting for a few moments of mindfulness.

I’m trying to grab onto these beautiful moments as if they were a life raft. As so often happens this time of year, I am becoming weary. Physically tired yes, but it is more than that. It is a weariness of the spirit. The will to do things is weakening and thoughts of ‘I can’t be bothered’ enter my mind. I’ve been alert to these thoughts and shoo them away as quickly as possible. It isn’t really bad but I don’t want it to become worse so I push myself a bit harder and hope that I feel better soon.

All that housework yesterday was for a reason: Trudie and Leo came over for a simple meal of minestrone soup. It was going to be pasta fagioli (basically minestrone with pasta and with a fancy name), but as usual, I filled the pot so high that there was no room for the pasta. We now have another 3 containers of soup for the overflowing freezer. I can seriously take a break from cooking any day now!

Two weeks from today we will be getting onto the cruise ship. Spike will be depressed but I’m sure he’ll get over it.

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”
~Ray Bradbury

No comments: