Sunday, October 28, 2018

snow

The warmth from the roaring fire pushed back the horror of snow sleeting against the house. An east wind blew, howling through the bare branches of the trees. The dark night bore down on us as we huddled in the warm circle of light cast by a hundred LEDs. A taste of the months ahead.

This morning thoughts of caribbean cruises drift through my head. No, they do more than drift... I spend some time on the Princess site dreaming of escapes to warm blue seas.

We were supposed to go to the Acapulco last night, but a 45 min drive in the snow did not appeal, so we stayed inside off the slippery roads. I was relieved that we had said no. Instead we watched the first new Dr. Who with the new doctor - a woman! I think she'll be okay?

Earlier in the day, before the snow, we dashed into Orleans to pick up a case of a new wine we tried. 'Don David' is an interesting malbec that we had tried the night before. We both loved it so much we wanted a stockpile... plus it was $3 off this week.


I'm working backwards in time again as I can't seem to re-start a daily habit of writing. I know that it would be good for my brain so maybe I have to stop worrying about having nothing to say and just write. I don't have to alert you on facebook if it is all gobbly goop, and can let the post sit unread on my blog. I like to capture my life for myself as I enjoy reading back in time and seeing how I was in the past. I suppose my blog is a bit like the tardis - a time travel machine.

So, looking back to Friday: I visited my brother in the afternoon, we planted more garlic when we got home (133 cloves now planted), then we had supper at Trudie & Leo's. A rather busy day.  Thursday Carm dug the garlic bed bigger, we put the patio furniture away (yes, another summer on the swing has come and gone), then as an excuse to get out we went to liquidation. Didn't buy anything there for a change.

Finally, way back on Wednesday, we had Pat, Trudie & Leo over for supper. This time I tried making beef bourginion in the instant pot - the bottle of yucky wine shone in its new incarnation. It was a kluge of a few recipes so I made sure to write down what I had done. I've been dreaming about the leftovers, which I have saved for tonight's Sunday supper.


"Fall hurries you along as you walk the roads, crunching the leaves that have fallen in mad and variegated drifts. The wind makes you ache in some place that is deeper than your bones. It may be that it touches something old in the human soul, a chord of race memory that says Migrate or die—migrate or die."
~Stephen King


No comments: