Friday, October 11, 2019

her pleasure in the walk

A pillowy tower of pancakes swirled with maple syrup with a salty egg perched on the top. Oh my… sweet, salty, pancakey. Tunes on the stereo. What more could I wish for on this beautiful day?

The next song had me leaping to my feet and dancing around in a frenzy of joy. Adia looked on, perplexed (but not freaked out like the first time she saw me dance). Spike didn’t even bother looking up - he’s seen this insanity before.

The sky is cloudless and the breeze light (at least where I am sheltered up against the villetta.) Carm is inside some smoky card hall missing out on all this sun, but his annual bridge game cannot be missed.


The campground is filling up with campers and it seems many of them have loose dogs… so I’ve been walking one at a time. Adia is good so far and I want to keep it that way - Spike loses his mind when he sees another dog, especially a loose one running around so I need all my attention for him. Bella and Kabira (oh how I miss them), used to ignore other dogs, so they’d kind of buffer Spike and help keep us all moving along. Adia thinks she might want to play and starts leaping around (72lb wild dog), getting leashes tangled and infuriating Spike by jumping on him. It isn’t pretty. 


I feel lazy and slightly languid (could a sugary brunch have anything to do with that?). I plan on doing some cleaning in case we have company this weekend. Windows are first on the list - the nose prints are like creative finger painting on what might have been sparkling glass. I need a really good song to play on the Shaw Flashback 70s station - one that will get me up swirling vinegar on the glass and dancing with the vacuum cleaner.


Our campsite is situated on a giant sandy anthill so every time we step out and back inside we bring a sandbox worth of sand. We could build castles if I didn’t keep up. The doormat gets shaken out many times a day.

Since my lament last Friday we’ve been trying to have some company. We had E & L on the weekend. Tuesday night Trudie & Leo came for supper. Wednesday Jo Ellen, Don, and little Romy came for the afternoon and a woose out supper of McDonalds. I was just too lazy to get it together after an afternoon outside. We aren’t sure who’s coming this weekend - if anyone.

… after supper… an hour of housework preceded an afternoon of lounging in the hot sun watching the comings and goings of the camps around me. I’ve been out with the dogs for their afternoon constitutional. I cleared the fridge of leftovers.

Now, I’m sitting at the table watching a giant class A try to park on a lot ½ its size. Good luck with that! Of course it’s almost dark so they are having trouble seeing what’s what. 

I guess I’m a bit bored after being on my own all day. Hope Carm is here soon.



Her pleasure in the walk must arise from the exercise and the day, from the view of the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves and withered hedges, and from repeating to herself some few of the thousand poetical descriptions extant of autumn--that season of peculiar and inexhaustible influence on the mind of taste and tenderness--that season which has drawn from every poet worthy of being read some attempt at description, or some lines of feeling.”
~Jane Austen

No comments: