Wednesday, February 19, 2020

funny how time slips away

It’s a banner day! Spike turned 12 today - no fanfare or special meal, in fact it’s his least favorite day of the week - Adia’s school night when he is left alone for a few hours. I think I’ll dig out something from the freezer to cheer him up when we get home. As if raw chicken hearts for a bedtime snack isn’t enough!

I might need a special treat too as the years are going by too quickly and if he’s 12 today, tomorrow he’ll be 16...


It seems impossible that almost 12 years have passed since we got him. He was a little puff of fur on my lap driving home from Dawn’s, but it didn’t take long for him to grow to be an oversized miniature poodle. I had hoped for a lap dog, but he was too big for that, aside from the fact that he rarely likes to cuddle. He more than made up for it with his love of learning new things. He was always keen to learn a new trick or skill.

He can be a bit of a son-of-a-bitch with other dogs. He loves camping and going for walks. His favorite thing to do in the morning is to run and get my socks. Strangely, he likes to have his picture taken and will pose when the camera comes out. 

I know you aren’t supposed to have favorites, but this little guy is the dog of my heart.


Speaking of other dogs, tonight is Adia’s first class of Basic Manners II where we’ll do more off-leash work and other skills that will help her to get ready to be a therapy dog. Carm’s been helping me practice ‘on by’... but it is still a work in progress. Walking past something interesting without a big sniff is a challenge for her!

We had a lovely supper at Trudie & Leo’s the other night - another chance to give Adia some freedom in the house. She did well, but I can’t remember if a few things were displaced during or after our absence. 


All these doggie distractions have been good, although to be honest, it hasn’t been enough and I’ve been struggling. I’m not sure if it is the changing light or what… but I know from history that it will pass.

a bit later… I realize that I’ve been spending too much time thinking about how bad I feel and not enough thinking about the things I’m excited about. I learned a long time ago that you are what  you think, so get with the program Laura and smarten up!


I have taken a pill to kill
The thin
Papery feeling.”
~Sylvia Plath

No comments: