Saturday, October 14, 2023

second spring

 I'm not really sure where the time went but it has flown by in a really weird way. I left off last time rhapsodising about the late summer weather… alas, it has passed and we are now into seasonal temperatures with rain most days.



With Thanksgiving looming, and Kirsten's birthday on Friday, I set to work last Wednesday making cakes. First up was a flourless chocolate cake - I had to use a smaller springform pan than recommended so baked it a bit longer which was a small mistake as the outside was a bit dry - other than that it was a big hit, especially with the Skor Chocolate Buttercream icing (both recipes are an easy 5/5 star). 


Next was a cranberry cake. It came together easily. I worried that making them so far in advance would wreck the cakes, but it's possible that they were better than they would have been fresh! Especially the cranberry cake :-)  (or as Mom called it as she was eating it for breakfast - Cranberry Bread!). That cake got slivered away, bite by bite, by the lot of us 😉 


I did manage another quick dip on the 5th after taking Mom to see the radiation oncologist for a pre-treatment consultation - lots to remember but they sent home reading materials and a link to a video which describes treatment and side-effects.


After getting home from the hospital with Mom, I trussed up the turkey and stuffed it into the oven. Crazy, but with 16 people for Thanksgiving dinner at Kirsten's we decided to do 2 turkeys - I'd do one at home and Kirsten would do a smaller one 'on the day'. It was a good plan! My turkey was just over 8kg - not huge but fairly big - it cooked quicker than expected (I need to update my notes better for next time) - we let it sit for an hour to cool then Carm got to carving it up (and we did a few little taste tests! The meat was juicy and flavourful - I guess it's hard to go wrong with a Butterball!


Friday I futzed around making icing (the buttercream!) and then we packed up for the drive to Kirsten's. It rained on the way there, but as we drove closer, we could see some blue sky in the distance and sure enough, the rain cleared up. Kirsten, Nissa, and I went for a long walk (to tire out the dogs!) while Carm helped Shawn with his giant tractor. Later in the evening we gathered at Kirsten's for fish tacos and chocolate cake to celebrate her birthday 🥳 



Saturday was the big day! Kirsten got the turkey in on time and then we putzed and puttered and prepped for a giant meal. All hands on deck made light work for all, although Kirsten was busy getting the house ready for a bunch of people staying overnight. We were a bit late getting dinner on the table but only by 20 minutes, which in my eyes is almost a miracle! 


We were blessed with a gathering of friends and family. We were missing Olaf, Stephanie, and Freya, but in their place we had our cousin Aura from Medicine Hat, Aunt Kari, Ted the Illusionist, and Shenna's young man, Mathias :-) We needed 2 tables!



We came home on Sunday late morning… and as I started to unpack I realized I HAD FORGOTTEN MY TABLET AT THE TRAILER! Cue panic and distress. We quickly checked in with Kirsten and arranged to go get it on Monday. Since I was home I thought I'd make some 'caramelised onion and gruyere buns'... ugh. So much work for such a mediocre result :-( I brought them as a 'booby prize' lunch to Kirsten's on Monday…


Tuesday I went into town to meet with Mom's nutritionist to get more ideas moving forward.


Thursday I took Mom to an appointment with the dental surgeon to have her appliance adjusted then made it home in time to bring in the patio furniture, at least the sofa and chairs. Ugh.


Yesterday we took care of the rest of the stuff on the deck and Carm got out the chainsaw to cut down the tree that dangles over the camper just in case we get another ice storm this winter! One less tree to worry about.


Which brings us to today! We are rushing around cleaning and tidying and cooking for Olaf & Stephanie's visit tomorrow :-)


Lots of busy days! I'm still struggling with motivation and energy but one foot forward at a time gets me to where I'm going :-)




Awesome!


“visiting with Aura!”

“family gathering together”

“Mom eating a proper turkey dinner”

“fall colours”


“Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”

Albert Camus

No comments: