Tuesday, October 1, 2019

I'm so glad we had this time together

I stood naked and shivering in the small cement shower room, waiting for the water to warm up. I started to feel a bit hard done by with the wait, when suddenly an image seared itself into my mind… a vision of a crowded shower, the occupants starving and scared. They didn’t know that it wasn’t a shower at all, but a death trap. A few tears pricked my eyes and I thought of Anne Frank and the legions of others like her. 

It has been raining on and off again today leaving slick, muddy roads. But the day was brightened by a visit from Christina. We sipped tea while the rain pelted the roof and as soon as it let up we went on a long walk. She was able to help me with some of the timing with Adia - it was good to have eyes on me!

The campground is totally deserted so I took Adia to a quiet spot and let her off the leash for a wild run. She was starting to go squirrely (literally) and there’s nothing quite like a 71lb dog trying to zoom at the end of the leash :-0

Speaking of squirrels… the prong collar came out. She is great on the leash UNTIL a squirrel, and there are hundreds of them, and then she loses her mind. She is so strong that I can barely hang onto her when she wants to make a charge. I call it her ‘power steering’.

Sunday afternoon Carm went home for the night, leaving Mom and myself free for the annual Mother/Daughter night. Will Kirsten join us next year? We had a great time with conversations covering every aspect of life. A tug on the ear will be a reminder, not just about how much fun we had. She left Monday morning and Carm returned from golf not that long after. 


Light is the only connection we have with the Universe beyond our solar system, and the only connection our ancestors had with anything beyond Earth. Follow the light and we can journey from the confines of our planet to other worlds that orbit the Sun without ever dreaming of spacecraft. To look up is to look back in time, because the ancient beams of light are messengers from the Universe's distant past.”
~Brian Cox

No comments: