Monday, October 14, 2019

the party wouldn't have been complete without you

I’ve been staring out the window waiting for the light drizzle to cease… we are home and it’s time to unload the camper and put it to bed. A herculean task awaits on the other side of those raindrops and to be honest, I’m lacking a bit of motivation. It’s weird to be home where the water can run in the sink and the toilet is flushed with abandon. After a month of water conservation it all seems a little strange and slightly uncomfortable. I know from past experience that I quickly adapt back to the space.

Saturday the sun skirted in and out of the clouds and there was some rain on the radar. I puttered around anxious for company to arrive. I arranged the chairs outside, I checked the radar and stowed the chairs under the overhang. The sun came out so I put the chairs out. It clouded over so I stowed them. One more check of the radar and we decided we’d sit at the picnic table. Another check and we decided that we’d have to eat inside so needed the auxiliary table - we’d be close to our max.

I walked Adia - hoping that she’d be tired enough to behave… Finally I saw E & L arrive and I dashed over to say hello. We were soon all plonked on the picnic table telling our tall tales of golf and other exploits that had happened over the week.

Raindrops fell so we scooted into the camper and got comfortable. It’s a cosy place to visit. The rain passed for a few minutes so L and I took the dogs for a walk and then suddenly there was Olaf, always larger than life. He barrels in bringing with him a feeling that fun has arrived. I always smile when I look at my no longer little, but still baby brother. The party started. Unfortunately inside as the raindrops were close together - so much for a fun bonfire. Oh well, we had the little electric fireplace to give us fake ambiance! Not to mention the remote control candles that we all got a good laugh over.


I stuck with a simple supper as I figured there wouldn’t be much room to turn around in and soon we were squashed around the table, elbow to elbow, laughing and having a good time. Carm took care of most of the clean up and then we continued our discussions till late into the night. Looking around at our guests I felt a feeling of contentment - this is what it’s all about.


Sunday morning we all got together for breakfast and then said our goodbyes. We were breaking camp and coming home - bittersweet. We had a great month in our villetta and can’t wait for next year. 

We had to do some jigg a jiggs to get into the laneway with the beast though. The road is closed just past our laneway and too close to bring the camper in that way. So Carm turned right instead of left onto our road and then backed up all the way down our road. It took us a few tries to get the trailer lined up into the laneway but there was no yelling so it was all good!

And now it is 2:30 in the afternoon on Monday. I did get myself going eventually and  now the trailer is put to bed. We winterized the water lines and everything that will freeze or that we might need in the winter has been brought inside and piled at the bottom of the basement stairs in a giant heap (but well out of sight). The dining room table is towering with laundry that has to go back into the camper - tomorrow. I think I have a few clothes that I want out too. But I consider it done :-)


The grace of God means something like: Here is your life. You might never have been, but you are because the party wouldn't have been complete without you.”
~Frederick Buechner

No comments: