Friday, July 23, 2021

watch with glittering eyes

 I had a few more ˋmomentsˋ yesterday, these ones cancelling out the hopeful times I had yesterday… on the news they were talking about the Delta variant. It is much more contagious and dangerous than the original covid-19 virus. Cases are rising exponentially in the US, mostly affecting unvaccinated people. The same thing is bound to happen here. Will we be in lockdown again? 


With the dew still on the grass I toddled around the backyard, first checking the zucchini. There are lots that will be ready for harvest in a day or two. Beside it is a sprawling squash plant with only 1 embryonic squash growing. I wonder if there will be anything to harvest as surely some wild thing is likely to come for a meal.



Carmˋs tomato plants look overgrown and wild but there is lots of green fruit hidden among the leaves. Back on the deck I crouched and stuffed my face with little worlds of flavour. Two different varieties of cherry tomato are planted: one with bright red fruit, the other gorgeous orange. Biting down on them popped a sweet yet acidic explosion of flavour onto my tongue.


Music is playing… ˋPeaceful Easy Feelingˋ as I write this. My anthem. The words donˋt all shake out, but the refrain and the notes evoke a, well, peaceful easy feeling!



I was looking for when we harvested the garlic in 2019 which meant reading thru Julyˋs awful events. Iˋm not ashamed to say that I shed a few tears. Iˋd forgotten how hard Spike took Bella and Kabiraˋs deaths - Iˋd forgotten about the nights and days that he lay staring into space whimpering. My memory of their deaths have mostly been replaced with fond remembrance of what good dogs they were and I no longer feel the gut wrenching pain when I think of them. Well… except for today… it seems that I captured my feelings well enough to re-experience, (if only for a few minutes), the anguish. Iˋm glad that Spike canˋt read.



Awesome!


“Spikeˋs head resting on Adiaˋs legs as they both slept peacefully”

“cherry tomato flavour bombs”

“Adia following me as I went about the yard”

“an acre of Queen Anneˋs Lace and purple clover”

“the first giant bulb of garlic drawn from the earth”

“cool refreshing water”



And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

Roald Dahl

No comments: