Tuesday, September 12, 2023

edge of darkness

The days are noticeably shorter… I didn't really notice when I was with Mom, but now that I'm home it's obvious. By 7:30 it was almost dark. In another month the time will change and it will be time to deploy scads of fairy lights. Winter is coming.


Last night was Mom's first night without Kirsten or I since her surgery - she did great! I was reluctant to leave her, but I think she's ready for more independence. I got back to theirs just past 8 this morning. Dad was already out on his walk so I helped Mom get her breakfast and puttered around the kitchen making soup while she enjoyed her not so gourmet baby pablum with fruit puree!


Soup today has: pumpkin, red pepper, cabbage, lentils, and a bit of cream cheese to make a creamy broth. After it was cooked I blended the crap out of it in the blender - 9 more cups of soup for Mom to enjoy! Mom got a new blender with a smoothie cup yesterday so she's branched out into green smoothies for another kick of nutrition. A nutritionist comes by Thursday morning so it will be interesting to see what else we can add.



Last night I headed home for a night with my honey. He had started supper (note to self: teach him how to make rice in the instant pot), so I just had to add some red peppers and rice for the ultimate comfort food (in my book anyway).


Carm put more cherry tomatoes away - there's lots in the freezer to make confit to brighten up a cold winter day :-) The cherry tomatoes were prolific this year! I still have some zucchini to grate and freeze, and I have a bunch of herbs that need something done with them. Kirsten is coming to Mom's tomorrow so I'll have a day to get some work done (and I'm not so exhausted that all I can do is recline on the sofa being waited upon!).


Carm also got all the laundry done, the house vacuumed, the grass cut, and a myriad of other small chores. He's keeping busy doing both our jobs :-)  As Kirsten says, she and I are lucky to have husbands who have picked up the slack while we've been busy!


It's been a rough 2 weeks but I am so grateful that I've had this time to spend with Mom. I have enjoyed our time together - it feels like a bit of a gift. Hanging out with her, joking and laughing, has been wonderful. I am blessed :-) Once she starts radiation I imagine that we'll get more time together (bad for her though).


Carm is still swimming (68F) today! My last swim was probably Friday…



Awesome!


“getting better at driving”

“Mom doing a whole night by herself”

“apple crisp with apples from our trees”

No comments: