Monday, January 15, 2024

winter has come

 Winter is here, or at least has visited for a few days (is it here to stay?). A giant storm was in the forecast for this past weekend and the weather guys did not disappoint, although it was maybe not as dire as predicted. We did get snow overnight on Friday and into the morning on Saturday and the wind was howling like a wild creature. The power stayed on!


To backtrack just a bit (cause that's what I do since I can't seem to get into a regular routine of fingers to keyboard…) Thursday I went into town early and met up with Kirsten at Mom & Dad's… I was catching a ride with her for an overnight visit. The plan was for 2 nights, with a third up in the air - wiith the storm brewing for Friday night into Saturday it was unclear if the roads would be cleared enough Saturday for me to go home. 


Thursday night, after a stop at Costco (new pjs!), the grocery store on the way home, and then a bit of supper, Kirsten and I binged ‘Julia’ with a seguay to the movie ‘Julie & Julia’ on Friday to compare the actors playing Julia Child. Of course no living person could hold a candle to Meryl Streep's version, but the actor in the series was good as well.  


A lap full of chihuahuas and a side of Jack Russell terrier kept me cosy!


Friday Kirsten and I made a trip to Perth to wander the cute downtown area and shop for treasures (I came home empty handed!). It was cold and damp, forcing us into each shop to warm up a bit 😉. We stopped for a scone and a coffee to further warm up after a walk through the park, and then with a stop at the pet store for dog food, drove back to her place.



More Julia, ginger carrot soup, cookies, and bourbon cherry bombs were on the menu for Friday night. The cherry bombs are my new favorite drink: the boozy part is delish, and when that's done we fill our glass with sparkling water to get the last of the cherry goodness - muddled whole cherries are the base and elevate soda water to heavenly heights!


Saturday we woke up to a winter wonderland - lots of snow had fallen and horror of horrors, it was changing to rain, so Kirsten and I got out there with shovels and rain gear! In the end, the roads were good enough to meet Carm in ‘middle earth’ for a very late lunch/blue hair special supper and then home… 


I’m not even sure if I stuck my nose out of the door on Sunday - it was cold and windy!


This morning I drove into the city to take Mom to see the dentist. Dr. Ararat is an artist with a dremel, putty and plastic, forming and adjusting Mom's obturator so that she could start wearing it again and maybe even start eating real food, or at least some semblance of food. It's a step forward in her endless journey… 


The roads were okay on the way there - on the way home there were stretches of snow covered roads where the wind blew snow across the roads. It was okay and I wasn't too freaked out! Later we went into the village to get some protein powder that was on sale. 


To be honest, I don't have the greatest eating habits these days, often going for much of the day without eating anything at all until early afternoon or maybe just some roasted mushrooms or other incomplete food. I have been making lentil soup to have for lunch which is a big improvement over the summer. I backtracked a bit and updated a food app to see my ‘macros’... definitely deficient!


I have been remiss in my prose! It's sunny today!!! All day!!!! We even got a bit of sunshine yesterday! Hurrah! The sun still exists (I was beginning to wonder!).



Awesome!


“Mom's appointment”

“spending time with Kirsten”

“no power outages!”

“snow removal guy showing up”

“a bit of 🌞 “

No comments: