Monday, November 25, 2013

Into the past - far and near

Sunday morning I went down to our basement "library" to do some sorting/tossing; it didn't take long before I was totally distracted and upstairs with a pile of stuff. The first thing that caught my eye was a book on mortgage amortization, not noteworthy in itself; but with the interest rate range from 9% to 30% it was cause for pause. Interest rates have been low for years now, but 25 years ago when we bought our first house we paid 13 or 14%. Yikes! With today's mortgages being so huge with corresponding low rates, what will happen to people if the rates suddenly start rising again?

Another thing I found was an old house plan magazine. I remember getting it back in the 70s when we were visiting Thunder Bay. I was probably 12 or 13, but already I had a strong interest in house plans and home decor; I had thought to be an architect, but couldn't stomach the 7 years of university, not to mention my weak math skills. Anyway, I remember poring over those floor plans for hours and hours. Some of my favorites had a Spanish influence with outside living areas complimenting the indoor ones.

Bundled with the house plan magazine were a bunch of magazine cutouts of rooms and houses, but best of all, some hand drawn house and room layouts. I remembered doing some of them, but couldn't find the renditions of my bedroom with an attached horse stall, complete with horse head over the dutch door. Obviously a 12 year old doesn't think of the practicalities of stable flies and what not!

Our friend Renee came for a lunch today. We haven't seen her for a few (or more) years so it was really great to catch up with her. Isn't it awful how time goes by and we let ourselves get out of touch. Renee is a naturalist and knows much about trees, birds and nature - on our little walk around the property she pointed out an Oriole nest hanging in the branches of a tree! I'd seen some birds around, but only rarely - next summer we'll have to get a bird feeder out to lure them closer to the house.



Love in its essence is spiritual fire. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca