Monday, July 18, 2016

one day left

Just one more day left, not counting today.

Friday we had a great time with friends and ate a giant meal at the Keg. Carm dropped me off at my parents after dinner and I had a visit with my parents while Graham went to the train station to pickup Olaf. Kirsten and the girls were still with Kenda but managed to tear themselves away to arrive home not long after I got there. We all sat in the living room talking for a couple of hours - it had been years (we couldn't figure out how many but at least 8) since we had all been together at home - there had been a few days in 2013 at the reunion but that wasn’t the same as being at home.

Saturday was an early morning after a lumpy sleep on the sofa, but I was happy I stayed overnight. After we were all up and cleaned up (which takes a while with 12 people in the house!), the siblings went for brunch. We didn't think we had ever had an outing with just the four of us, but Kirsten, Olaf, Graham and myself had a great time while eating a giant breakfast at Stone Face Dolly’s. We did manage a short walk afterwards, but we were so full some of us could barely move (me). Back at Mom and Dad's, Kirsten and I swapped Olaf and Graham for Shenna and Nissa for a short bit of shopping.

We were back in time to help Mom a tiny bit with supper (she had already gotten almost everything ready. It was an all-inclusive family affair with the immediate family (including Carm of course), our aunt and uncle that lives nearby, and cousins that also live nearby. The house was packed and we all had a wonderful time.

Another night on the living room sofa… and another early morning. A brunch with all of us packed around the dining room table followed by some picture taking. Carm and Kirsten's husband Shawn were absent so we left spaces for them and someone will CG them in.

After the photos we piled into cars for the drive out to Kari and Trevor's house. They have a lovely backyard with a fantastic pool - the kids, big ones too, spent the afternoon splashing around and having fun. Trevor said the water was down 1" after all the horsing around.

Kirsten came home with us for the night and we had a pleasant evening sitting at the outdoor table until the mosquitoes drove us inside.

Carm golfed this morning, leaving Kirsten and I to have a leisurely morning and then I saw her on her way. I had to use some mental discipline to keep my mind from the fact that this was the last time she'd be staying at our house, possibly for many years. (okay, stop that now!!!). She has a dinner tonight with her husband's side of the family and then tomorrow (hopefully) with us before she leaves at 5am Wednesday.

After Carm got back from golf we had a swim then cleaned up to go visit his Mom and sister in the city. We even managed to catch up with Kirsten for a few minutes before she headed to her dinner. It turned into a whirlwind day, even though it was supposed to be restful.

"All in all, it was a never-to-be-forgotten summer — one of those summers which come seldom into any life, but leave a rich heritage of beautiful memories in their going — one of those summers which, in a fortunate combination of delightful weather, delightful friends and delightful doing, come as near to perfection as anything can come in this world.”
~L.M. Montgomery

No comments:

Post a Comment