Friday, March 31, 2017

out like a lion

March is still roaring like a great, shaggy lion slightly past its prime. The winter weather continues to beat us down, but has been peppered with the odd sunny day, just to get our hopes up. But today we are bracing for another weather system that is bearing down on us. March 31 and there is still snow on the ground.

The ebb and flow of snow on the laneway has made this the muddiest spring in memory. We are in desperate need of more gravel but in the meantime the muck has seeped through what stone there is to make a dirty slurry. The house, especially the front hall with its black and white tiles, is carpeted with muddy footprints. Thank goodness we don't have white carpets!

I'm going to go back in time to Monday, the day the sugar plum fairies danced. After the sugar rush wound down, we met up with Bruce & Tina for the annual birthday supper. Bruce's birthday is on the same day as Carm's so we have a double celebration. We've done the Keg for several years and this year was no different. However we did try a different location… I went online to check out the menu and lo and behold the one in the market was closed for renovations! WTH! Good thing I checked as we easily made alternate plans. Supper, as expected, was a frenzy of meat eating which left me feeling full and guilty for a number of reasons.

Tuesday we were back in town to meet with our accountant and do some other running around. We were just starting our search for a new freezer (the one for people food is 27 years old and possibly starting to fail). Our old freezer was a chest style, and I'm sure you know what they are like with their never to be seen again depths. Who knows where the food actually goes when it ends up at the bottom but is lost unless you are really organized. I wonder if there is a secret door like in the 'Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe'. This time we are going for an upright - we'll at least be able to see the food that we are aging out ;-)

We saw one we liked which wetted our lips for more shopping. First online and then on Wednesday to our local store. Back home for some more online shopping before deciding Thursday to get the one at our local store. I think we are going too big (20cf) but better too much room than not enough. We'll move the old one out to the garage for the winter and run it with dog food in the hope we can save some electricity.

Thursday morning we went to the liquidation store. I saw a few things: bug spray for our trip, pack of underwear 1/2 price. And then… a goldish colour down puffy coat that even had a hood. I'd been wanting one for a couple of years as a liner to a few of my other jackets. But no. For some reason that baffles me I didn't buy it. It might have been Carm's comments about how many jackets I already have… I know I have a lot of jackets, but what is one more, especially at less than $30. It's been eating at me and if it wasn't snowing today I would go right back to the store, with the hope that it is still there.

Over the last few days I've clipped the poodles faces and feet. When they are brushed out they look like giant balls of fur with tiny little feet and pretty faces. Actually, Spike ruined his nose yesterday trying to bury his bone in the towel in his crate. I guess he wanted to save it for later, but in doing so has rubbed the top of his nose raw. I can hardly look at it. Poor wee thing. Kabira has done the same thing at times.


edit, later in the afternoon: Carm decided the roads were still good and that we should go to liquidation to see if the jacket was still there… it wasn't. I guess it wasn't meant to be but thank you to my honey for humouring me. We did pop into the Country kitchen for lunch as a consolation prize ;-)

"All shall be done, but it may be harder than you think.”
~C.S. Lewis

No comments: