Friday, April 21, 2017

does this spark joy?

I ignored the dust bunnies that were threatening to take over the house. I was busy with tidying/de-cluttering. I finished my clothes - 8 bags of thrift store and garbage. My closet is neat and tidy. Then I started with the rest of the house (remember, it’s by category of stuff): table cloths first, followed by Spike's toys, then the gargantuan task of tidying the pantry. I didn't get every nook and cranny, but now we can walk into it and even find things. Today I did placemats and napkins. Between the pantry and the placemat cupboard we have another bag of garbage, a heaping stack for recycle, and a giant bag for the thrift store. I think my tidying days are over for a while now though as we have to get cracking and paint the craft room in the basement.

It feels good to get the clutter under control and put order into some spaces. I go back to look and am pleased at the result. I'm sure most of you don't let things get so chaotic but I'm not good at getting rid of things so they stack up and burst through the cupboard doors.

I have managed to leave the house a few times during this flurry of activity. There was a trip to the accountant for tax season and lunch at Ikea. One day we went into town for something or other and had lunch at the Pho place. We've been to friends for visits and into the village with bags for the thrift store. The time is flying by and soon it will be time to pack our suitcases for our adventure.

"The best way to choose what to keep and what to throw away is to take each item in one’s hand and ask: “Does this spark joy?” If it does, keep it. If not, dispose of it. This is not only the simplest but also the most accurate yardstick by which to judge.”   ~Marie Kondō

No comments: