Tuesday, January 9, 2018

a cure for all ills

A swing of 40C (counting the wind chill) has brought us up to 0C today. A pleasant break from the deep freeze, but I hope and pray that the forecast rain skirts us…

We got our hair cut yesterday, but the poodles will wait a month or two until it is consistently warmer - often we all get sheared on the same day… which reminds me, it is time to do their faces - their most dreaded day.

We were desperate to get out again today so we braved the mostly just wet roads and went to Liquidation, just to look around… Well, I don’t think I’ve ever come out of there with empty hands and today was no different. One of my finds is a shawl type thing that will be perfect for travelling. It slings over the shoulder and is easily opened for those hot flash moments. No more struggling with getting into and out of a sweater on the plane. We also picked up a few other odds and ends including a few things for gifts. So much for looking around :-o

Before we left on our sojourn I got a soup cooking in the instant pot. The beauty of the IP meant that I could set it and then leave. Today's soup had garlic, onion, celery, carrot, green beans, dried peas & romano beans, a can of diced tomatoes, chicken broth, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp Italian seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, and of course 3 hot peppers. Ummm… it was good and made me think that maybe I need to go on a ‘soup’ diet where all I eat for a week is soup. I’d surely lose this cruise/Christmas weight quickly. Maybe next week.

The grocery store had pork loin roasts on sale for $2 and I’ll have to say I was mighty tempted to eschew our vegan diet for a hunk of meat. They were huge and could easily be cut into a few roasts - I’d love to try cooking one in the instant pot, and maybe one in our soon to be new stove (Jan 18th). But Carm was there as my good sense leprechaun so I walked away. At $2 it isn’t even too expensive for the dogs to have some as a treat.

“The lore has not died out of the world, and you will still find people who believe that soup will cure any hurt or illness and is no bad thing to have for the funeral either.”
~John Steinbeck

No comments: