Monday, January 1, 2018

Ring in the new

December 31st...the last day of 2017… where did the year go? It seems like it was just last week that I was rushing around getting ready for our celebration, and here I am again.

Last night we ventured out into the cold (-22C) to visit our neighbors. Marie and Vashek have the farm across the road, but also have a lovely condo in the village. The best of both worlds! Last night we were toasty in the condo.

It is still bitterly cold, but thankfully sunny.


Well, that was a dream thinking I’d have time to finish yesterday’s post when I had a dinner party to prepare!

So here we are in 2018, a new year, a time for new beginnings. We began the year with dear friends and plan to increase our gatherings this year. I have to remember that a simple meal with friends is better than a less frequent feast (New Year’s is the exception of course, we have to finish the year in style).

Cathey, one of our guests, spends time on Jan 1st reviewing the previous year’s goals and writing out new ones. It seems like a good idea to have something to work towards. I coast through the year and perhaps don’t get the best from my time. Today isn’t the day to do that though, my head is foggy from a busy day, a late night, rich food, and perhaps a bit much good cheer ;-)

We had a prime rib dinner and I am so disappointed that I wrecked the lovely piece of meat. My oven and oven thermometer were acting in concert to give me no idea what the actual temperature of the oven was, however I did have a meat thermometer which usually does the trick. It buzzed when it reached 142F so we quickly removed the beast. It sat under foil while I futzed around with the yorkshire pudding and by the time we cut it the meat was medium rare… by the time the yorkshire was done and we served up the meat was well done. I like it rare. Arrrrr… beating fists on chest…

I cooked the potatoes in the instant pot for the mashed potatoes. I think they turned out better than the boiling way, although that might have something to do with the gobs of butter and cream that I used. It was nice having the stove top clear for gravy making and other duties, plus they didn’t overflow all over the place.

I’m kicking myself that I didn’t take a few photos of us, maybe a selfie so we’d all be in the photo. Jo Ellen and Don, Cathey, Pat, and Dave gathered around the table. There would have been room for Jim but he came down with a cold.

Time for the Rose Bowl Parade before I finish up with the cleanup. I should do a shout out to Carm for his part in all the preparations and cleanup. He was 100% a partner in all the activities (actually he did more of the cleanup than I did).

Happy 2018 :-)

“Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.”
~Alfred Tennyson

No comments: