Tuesday, January 2, 2018

potential

It has warmed up significantly… it is now a balmy -16C, a temperature that doesn’t hurt the skin in seconds. There are some things that I buy that I may not end up liking, or maybe it isn’t as good as I hoped for, and are a waste of money, but my down winter coat that I got two years ago is not one of those things. It cuddles me up in a puffy embrace, keeping me warm and cozy in the cold. It makes the cold days of the winter bearable.

A friend (thank you Marie), gave me a down blanket for Christmas. It is another warm hug and it’s slippery, silky, fluffiness has been keeping us warm in the evening as we watch our fix of TV. Last night we both cuddled under it to watch the last Peter Capaldi episode on Dr. Who.

My brain is muddled and is having trouble coming up with words. I’m not off to a good start for 2018. I think I’ve let my thinking become lazy… so I’ve unearthed my book of short stories by Alice Munro… her turn of phrase astounds.

“We spend January 1st walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives...not looking for flaws, but for potential.”
~Ellen Goodman

No comments: