Sunday, March 23, 2014

Remind Me Next Time

I’m not sure which to have you remind me – that parties are too much work, or in the end it is all worth it?

Don't get me wrong - it was a great party and I was happy to see everyone. But! I would so much rather meet in small groups where I can actually have a real conversation. I did a quick calculation as the guests were starting to arrive - if I were to spend 5 minutes with each person, it would take me to 10;30 pm. Not counting any extra time spent doing the regular hosting such as serving the cake.

DSCN4743

But back to Friday night first – the local weather on the news was forecasting for 10-15 cm of snow with white-out conditions due to high wind. Oh oh. When we got up Saturday morning we could see that they weren’t joking… now our only hope was that it be a fast moving storm. Carm kept his eye on the radar as we went about our tasks. Sure enough, by mid afternoon the snow had stopped and the wind had died down. Up and down the driveway Carm went with his snowblower, with our fingers crossed that it really was finished (it was, except for flurries in the evening which sent some guests back to their homes early – but I digress).

Knowing how hectic hosting can be, I hired my friend Christina's daughter to manage the food, washing glasses, and all that stuff. She was a godsend. I think I only spent a few minutes in the kitchen before she left at 11pm. Thanks for the help Lisa!

DSCN4727

We spent an active 2 days preparing the house and food - there always seem to be a million little things to be done. By Saturday afternoon I was tired, and starting to spin. I'd start on one task, remember about something else to be done and start on that, remember what I was working on before, and so on! There were a few times I caught myself taking a step or two one way, then spinning around to take a step or two the other direction!

Thank goodness for technology! I wouldn't be able to cope without Google Tasks and other documents. If I had a smart phone I'd be even better off and possibly able to avoid the spinning thing.

DSCN4739

DSCN4742

DSCN4732

DSCN4726

DSCN4723

 

But back to the party. There were so many people that I rarely see - even 5 or 10 minutes of conversation was worth it! And of course Carm had a great time - maybe turning 60 isn't so bad after all!

DSCN4734

The last guests left at 1:30am, after which Carm and I did a good 45 minutes of clean-up. A few minutes with our feet up, and then into bed by 2:30am. More clean-up this morning and we are almost back to normal! Not my feet though. I will admit to spending the day on the sofa with my feet up, and old movies on the tv... and a few chips & dip.

Carm was first up this morning; with Spike standing on him, he had no choice but to take the dogs outside. An hour later I got up, and found Carm and the dogs sound asleep on the futon.

DSCN4748

I don't think I've mentioned the food yet... I usually plan for way more food than is required, and this party was no exception. We have scads of leftovers - much of which is high fat, non vegan fare, but luckily some is also frozen. I foresee having people over for hors d'oeuvres meals with a salad on the side! And an increase of my waistline :-(

 

One does not leave a convivial party before closing time. ~Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Merikay said...

Carm looks so comfy with the dogs. An extra day nap is a good thing.