Friday, February 5, 2016

ashes and sparks

The sun is shining today, there is no breeze, and the cold doesn't gnaw at your cheeks. A lovely day for a walk outside. Oh, wait. There is a coating of ice over everything, thick enough to hold me on the snow for a few steps and then I break through. I could lurch for a walk, one foot crashing through the ice, while the other one takes a spin on top. Sometimes I just want to go for a walk and not be huffing and puffing and winding up flat on my back. Just a nice walk where I can enjoy the blue sky and pale yellow sun. Where I can hear the birds singing. Where I can sling my camera over my shoulder and find nice things to take pictures of. A walk. Uninterrupted by ragged breath and tricky footing.

Instead I closed the blinds to the brilliant sun and climbed onto the treadmill. I watched TV instead of Nature's glory, but at least I was moving again. A quick glance over my shoulder and I could see the futon with sun spots filled with poodles and ridgebacks, they haven't left a spot for me, but that's okay (for now).

The big west window in the living room needs washing. On the inside is some dog nose-painting, but the outside of the window… filthy. The sun shines in that window in the late afternoon and reflects off all the dirt. Everytime I lift my eyes from my tablet (for example, while writing this), I am faced with the mess.

Drive my dead thoughts over the universe
    Like withered leaves to quicken a new birth!
    And, by the incantation of this verse,
Scatter, as from an unextinguished hearth
    Ashes and sparks, my words among mankind!
    Be through my lips to unawakened earth
The trumpet of a prophecy! O, wind,
    If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?
~Percy Bysshe Shelley

No comments: