Saturday, December 2, 2023

pre mania perhaps

 The following was from Thursday morning… as happens so often, I failed to post right away, thinking that I'd do it later… but… here we are on Saturday afternoon!


I read a book once (decades ago), where the heroine had big thumbs (a quick google search for books with a woman who has bandaged thumbs garnered the correct book! ‘Only Cowgirls Get the Blues’). Why did that book pop into my mind this morning? Well, I've got a giant bandage on my left thumb since I sliced it open on a can in the recycle bin. Ugh. Yesterday I put on my task list to tidy one shelf of the pantry - I got on a roll, and Carm started helping by emptying and washing all the containers, plastic and otherwise, of ancient food, so I felt motivated to finish!


The chaos was slightly overwhelming - I almost gave up a few times - but perseverance along with Carm's help, got the job done! At the end of the cleaning frenzy, the recycle bin was overflowing with cans and plastic containers so I pulled it out and started organizing it to make more room - just as I was pulling my hand out - slice! blood! youch! So… now I have a giant bandage on my thumb.


Tuesday we had our biannual trip into the city for the dentist. We have our appointments coordinated which makes it more efficient - parking downtown can be tricky, not to mention the traffic is crazy around there, so I like Carm to do the driving!


The sun is peeking through the clouds this morning and it was sunny yesterday (but bloody cold and windy)! Hurrah for a bit of sun… we did get some overnight snow Tuesday night which is lingering… I think it's supposed to warm up to 6C today, so perhaps it will all disappear (one can only hope).


Those pumpkin muffins that I thought would be so great… mouldy :-( Note to self: freeze individually and thaw as needed. boo hiss! With my thumb all bandaged up it is nearly impossible to wash dishes etc, so I'll have to wait a day or two to make a new batch. It seems I've been experimenting on mould growth as I unearthed the rest of the orange cake and it is mouldy too, although I was expecting that.


I've been making a lot of cakes lately and have been throwing out the last few pieces as I get sick of them pretty fast. I don't recall ever getting sick of cookies so I think I'll transition my baking and start practising for Christmas baking ;-)


—--------


Back to today! We had a quick trip to Costco with Mom. Carm went off on his own as he likes to zoom through, while I stayed with Mom. It was so busy and we figured if we split up we wouldn't have to worry so much about getting separated… how many times has Carm been at one end of the store while I search through the crowds for him at the other end! Poor Mom didn't get to browse like she might have liked too - but maybe it's better to get out of the covid cesspool asap!


Yesterday I took Mom to her third last radiation treatment! She also had an appointment with the speech therapist - she's a lovely lady who was very encouraging and upbeat. There are some exceptional people on the cancer treatment team! Mom is pulling through like a trooper but is getting more fatigued, which is not helped by the terrible nights and (lack) of sleep she's been having.


I should backtrack quickly to Thursday after I wrote what was above. I decided that I would stick my nose into our closet and tackle one piled up mess of clothes… an hour or two later, I'd done most of the closet! I didn't purge as much as I should have, but did emerge with a tower of yoga pants that don't fit very well anymore, not that I wore them much anyway! Next week we'll drop them off at the thrift store :-)


I couldn't believe how many black t-shirts I have!


Also, two days of organizing in a row has me on high alert for a potential mood shift... organizing is usually the first sign that I'm tipping into mania and the other night my head was starting to spin so I've been adding some extra meds and taking a bit of quiet time to slow things down.


Have you seen the movie about Mr. Dressup? I didn't realize he was American and also didn't know that Mr. Rogers got his TV start in Canada on CBC. It was a nice tribute but also a bit of a tear jerker... I don't recommend it if you are feeling a little wobbly. Sometimes I feel just fine and then some little thing sends me into the deep end. It doesn't happen often but is a reminder to not stuff feelings quite so much!



Awesome!


“pretty snow covered trees”

sorry my list is a little short today! We are getting ready to rush out for a birthday celebration.

No comments: