Thursday, December 14, 2023

three kinds

 No men, just dozens of gingerbread trees, shortbread stars, and chocolate mounds have danced out of the oven so far - three kinds baked - there's dough for serinakakers in the fridge and an extra batch of the chocolate crinkle dough ready for baking tonight or tomorrow. There are a few others on the to-do list but I don't think I'll make it to seven different kinds this year! Although who knows what next week might bring ;-)  Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday are already booked with outings, but! gosh! There are still 11 days till Christmas so another pound or two of sugar and butter might be thrown into the oven.


My kitchenaid is getting a full workout!



Looking at the calendar is starting to freak me out! The last several months have been a blur with time not passing at all but simultaneously moving at light speed. It seems like just the other day that I was with Mom at her first cancer appointment and yet a lifetime has passed.


Yesterday Kirsten and I met up at Mom & Dad's for a visit and shopping outing :-) I think M&D were happy to get out of the house for a bit. Mom has started doing small outings herself, even driving. It takes a lot to slow her down! 


There were bits of sunshine which was lovely, but the wind was blowing a gale - I was glad that I'd worn my little puffer coat and didn't rely on the cute raincoat I picked up at liquidation on Tuesday. Tomorrow though! It's supposed to warm up a bit so it will get christened tomorrow!


(another 3 dozen of the chocolate ones are on their way tomorrow!)


After shuffling cookies around constantly on the cooling racks, I decided that I needed more racks… was going to get another big one (on sale at Home Hardware), but realized that for just double the price (ha ha, just double!), we could get TWO stainless steel baking sheets with TWO cooling racks 😉 


I realized after a few days of lacklustre mood that what was missing from my days was music! As soon as I remedied that with a bit of Christmas music and some old favs, I was be-bopping around with much more energy than I’ve had for days!


Sunday, Pat came for supper and two episodes of ‘the Orville’... I unearthed a pork tenderloin from the depths of the freezer. Cooking it in the instant pot for 1 minute with a full natural release makes for a moist and tender piece of meat, just this side of pink. And the gravy! Mushrooms, onion and herbs meld with the pork juices - a bit salty but so good! I've packaged the leftovers into little containers in the freezer for when I have a hankering for french fries and gravy! The next day I sent Carm to the grocery store for another package…


Do you ever get partway into a book and realize that it just isn't for you? I shelved one yesterday after it took a violent turn… I don't need that! I want love and joy and sweetly sick happiness in my life!



Awesome!


“blue jays”

“colour of my new raincoat”

“christmas bandanas on the dogs after their nail trim”

“bins and bins of cookies!”

“dogs asleep in a sunspot”

No comments: