Monday, August 5, 2024

stop the presses

 I've spent hours and hours over the last 2 weeks reading about fasting and cancer - everything that I'd read up to today summarised that it can't hurt and may help… well, today I did an even deeper dive using terms I learned in a video I watched this morning which was pro-fasting - I was gung ho as the videos I watched were very encouraging, but unfortunately my research has muddied the water… it is possible, in some types of cancer, that fasting makes things worse. Which is obviously the opposite effect that I was looking for. 


Of course there's the question of who to believe and which research is the best, but if there is a chance of harm, I won't go that way. Maybe I was just looking for an excuse to get out of doing hard things…


So it's back to just a plant-based diet which is recommended by many cancer centres and research. There is no conflicting research showing that it might harm… so, my 3 day fast has been shelved and instead I will focus on getting optimum nutrition. I feel a bit discouraged about the whole thing - I thought that it was something that I could DO to help myself but now I'm left feeling that I have no control and that it is up to the fates. I don't like that! It is not just a matter of the power of my mind and willpower which leaves me feeling powerless.


On Friday I met with a radiation oncologist and I tried to discuss what I'd read but he didn't know anything about it so it was a wasted conversation which left me feeling a bit frustrated. I did mention that I'd lost weight which he said was a good thing as people who lose weight before or after treatment have better outcomes… I guess I'll hold that as something in my control.


All that aside, I'm doing well. I have two more appointments this week and then it will just be recovery. Dr. Cross handed me a prescription for a hydrocortisone cream which he felt I will probably need in a few weeks - I guess the burn on my skin will worsen over the next 2 weeks - for now it's only slightly pink. I've been slathering CeraVe cream every chance I get!


My life is not all cancer treatment though (although it feels like it at the moment), Saturday we had visitors! Kirsten & Nissa came late afternoon and then Olaf & Stephanie arrived around 7pm so we had a standing supper around the island before Kirsten departed, leaving O&S for the night. We had a great visit and it was a lovely distraction from life…


Sunday, after Olaf & Steph left, Carm and I headed into the city to water Mom's plants. I was exhausted but since we had made the drive we went for a bit of retail therapy 😀 Carm got new golf shoes and I scored a bunch of summer tops in smaller sizes! Lots of sales!


The hot weather broke today - it was cold and rainy, perfect for curling up with the dog and reading! Oh, and we took a bit of time to slice and squeeze some zucchini to make bags for the freezer ready to be mixed into scarpaccia. 




Awesome!


“visitors”

“a bit of sun casting a golden glow over the early evening landscape”

No comments: