Thursday, August 1, 2024

at the halfway point

 I'm halfway through radiation! It's been going well - treatments are easy and the breath holding has not been a problem. I've started to get some redness on the skin but not too much at this point, more like a mild sunburn.


So far I've been keeping up with the FMD (fasting mimicking diet) although it's been hard to keep my resolve at times. I just have to get through today and part of tomorrow and then I'll eat regularly until bedtime on Sunday when I'll start the same regime. It would be great to know if it's working but there's no way to know… it's days like this that I would reach for something comforting and maybe sweet but instead I'm just having vegetables and olives… in some ways I wish I hadn't read about it as I could really use the boost of an icecream cone on the way home! It’s hard being bloody-minded!


Over the last few weeks I've read countless meta analysis studies about fasting and cancer treatment - there is nothing definitive at this point as most research has been done on mice and dogs with only a few small studies done with people, but what every paper does conclude is that there might be benefits, there is no harm, and it needs to be studied more. I guess I'll take a chance that it will help!


I'm dreaming of the pasta supper I have planned for tomorrow night…


What I have learned by trying to follow the FMD, is that there is protein in everything - I'm supposed to stay at 9% but that is nearly impossible even with just eating vegetables. And it's got a fairly high fat percentage which is also difficult to plan - I can see why people just buy the pre-formulated food packages… 


I don't generally spend much time thinking about cancer, but when I'm lying on the slab, with the machine aiming its rays at me, it hits me a bit. I suppose that's the only time when it seems real. I'm not sure what Carm is thinking while he's waiting for me, maybe it's real for him then too.


It was another scorcher today - with the humidex we hit the high 30s - nice for going into the pool but not so nice for Carm cutting the grass! He still does it with a push mower so he gets a full body workout, and in this heat it's tough. I think it's all made worth it though when he jumps into the pool ;-)  (speaking of which, I might have to take a break from my tablet and jump in myself - not sure if it's the heat or another infernal hot flash but I'm boiling!).


I could have a nap right now (4:30 pm, home for almost an hour)...



Awesome!


“half way through”

“hot summer days”

“finding parking on Lynda Lane”

No comments: