Wednesday, August 5, 2026

7 zucchini on the counter

So much time has passed since I last wrote (July 20th!) but nothing much has changed. Summer is racing by and it seems like it will be a short one this year 😞 It started late and the weather forecast going forward isn't great… last week we had 217mm of rain - that's over 7inches! The hayfield swale is still draining water, the creek was in flood, and the ground everywhere is saturated. It's the total opposite of last summer which was such a drought that even the car wash places were closed!


Today is gorgeous though! I stupidly wrote down the wrong time for my doctor's appointment this morning so I drove all the way there and back for nothing - 55 minutes wasted - dooh! That used up my allotment of energy for the day but luckily Carm was back from golf to drive me back this afternoon.


I did get some time to sit outside! Last week we had so many rainy days, and then there are the days when it's too much effort to even take the cover off the sofa out there so today was a bonus :-)


I still don't know what's wrong with me… 😞 My doctor and his resident are leaning towards me/cfs but I have more blood tests to rule out a few other things. I thought I was starting to be on the mend last week so started with a bit of time in the kitchen, then after a few days 10 minutes of walking, gradually increasing to 20 minutes, but then I hit a wall again and I'm back to barely able to do anything. My arms and legs feel like jelly… Even cooking can be a trial as I get so tired that it's all I can do to stay standing up - at times I feel such a strong need to lie down that the floor seems an option -  I've managed to keep upright so far!


It wouldn't be so bad (yeah right), except that when I get really tired it's like having a horrible hangover - my head gets foggy and dizzy and I feel nauseous on top of barely being able to move. It's really frustrating! I am so over this!!! It's time to get better now! I keep singing a little song to myself about all my cells being happy and healthy which may or may not help (but doesn't seem to hurt at least!).


We spent a few days at the trailer last week with Kirsten. Carm didn't have golf so he hung around as well. We did discover that a lightning strike took out our tv, furnace and airconditioner… luckily we had cool nights so we were able to sleep. We met up with the insurance adjuster yesterday to get the ball moving. It's too hot for the next week to do sleep-overs there though!


Kirsten and I spent some time at a dog show that wasn't too far away - she was interested in the St. Bernards (and we saw a couple of very sweet dogs). I don't need another dog at the moment but did meet two ladies with schnauzers and gosh, I was very tempted to get another puppy - which would be absolute insanity right now with my energy levels!!! But wouldn't it be fun for Lupa to have a sister her own size 😀 


Oh, and we went shoe shopping one day when I was feeling a bit better. I ended up with two pairs to try out at home - I like to test them out on the treadmill to see if they'll work on my fussy feet! I'm keeping both pairs ;-)  One is a pretty pair with sparkles (of course!) to wear for dress up times, and the other is a platform shoe, less dressy but still nice. Two weeks today I leave for my cousin's wedding in Medicine Hat and now have my dress and shoes sorted!


I see that I mentioned doing a ‘stress test’ in my last post. Well, I did it and it went well. It showed something possibly unrelated, but overall it said I had above average fitness and the technician mentioned that my heart rate recovered quickly. So at least my heart has been ruled out! My blood work ruled out iron, thyroid, b12, d, blood sugar, etc. Which is good I guess, although I'd hoped it was just a low iron issue which would be easily sorted out!

I have been complaining about my energy levels, but I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't also mention the heaps of zucchini that I've been dealing with! I made 2 loaves of a lemon zucchini cake last week. Then I used the mandolin to do long thin slices that I layered with homemade tomato sauce like lasagne. I cooked it for a bit, and then cut it up and airfried sandwich sized pieces. A sandwich with prosciutto (the one processed meat that I will eat as it has no additives), some black olives, fresh mozzarella, and a stack of zucchini slices makes a 5 star meal! So messy but delicious. I had it again tonight - yum!


Monday I thinly sliced some zucchini for a salad, but never got around to adding the dressing (which I did make)… tomorrow I might mix them with a homemade pesto, eggs, and lay them out on a baking sheet to cook. Maybe for a sandwich or maybe just to eat plain.


Well, this was just a whining post. I know that others have it so much worse than I do so I feel guilty about complaining… I try to keep that in mind and to be grateful for everything good in my life!



Awesome!


“the rain finally ending - should we start building an ark?”

“getting sandals!”

“lots of zucchini”

“just one schnauzer who likes to cuddle against me”

No comments: