Saturday, August 29, 2026

salty

How many days ago was it that I last wrote? Ah, almost a week. What have I done all week? As it turns out, quite a lot! But not too much!

Last Sunday afternoon we piled into the car for the trip to the viletta. We departed in the rain but luckily it dried up when we got there so we could take the dogs out for a short walk with Basel. The cousins were excited to see each other again - but this time Lupa and Basel played for a bit - she was intense but not aggressive - I was happy that it went so well. Eventually they got distracted by coyote smells by the pear tree.

I'd brought focaccia and tomatoes from the garden for a simple supper (I made the focaccia earlier in the week and stashed it in the freezer). It wasn't a late night though - I was beat by 8:30 with just enough energy left to walk the dogs down the road.

Monday morning the RV repair guy came to evaluate the damage from the lightning strike July 1st. We've got a plan and are now waiting for parts and availability. Kirsten and I (and Basel) drove into town to the pet store and our annual Skor Blizzard! Yum. I'm pretty sure my illness is just a sugar deficiency ;-) For supper Kirsten made sweet potato tacos 😀




We came home Tuesday morning after a coffee with Kirsten (and Basel). I managed 2 days at the trailer without a big PEM crash afterwards, although I did spend a lot of time on the sofa feeling not exactly awesome the next day! But it was better than I'd hoped for. In fact, Wednesday I pulled it together enough to have Kari and Kirsten over for lunch (tomato sandwiches again)... Again, I didn't have a big crash.

The dogs got more time to bond while we had lunch! Lupa wasn't feeling well though so she skipped out on playing…

Thursday I made 2 trays of focaccia, tomato sauce, cooked potatoes, and prepped some stuff for supper. There was also a trip to the groomers with the dogs. By the time Pat arrived, I was done for and starting to feel pretty sick. There were a few moments when I thought I'd collapse onto the floor, but powered through. When we sat at the table I wasn't sure if I'd be able to eat, but somehow managed to scarf down a big steak and some of Carm's too! Pat had brought a cake for dessert (yum!). I crashed in bed while they caught up on the ‘Reacher’ series!

It was too much to do in one day. Carm is a great help but I feel bad asking him to do more and more. He already carries the biggest load around the house! But, as I am learning more about recovery, it seems that getting more help now will eventually lead to needing none!

Friday I had a bit of a crash day which has lasted into today, but again, not as hard as a few weeks ago. I'm exhausted and weak but not nauseous or feeling hungover. I haven't done more than the bare essentials, and I did slice a giant zucchini with the mandolin (which left my arms feeling like rubber!) but I think I've found a baseline… no treadmill yet, but an hour of kitchen time interspersed through the day, plus a 10 minute walk in the field with the dogs and butterflies, a bit more time in the kitchen, and some light puttering around the house seems to be good. I'll try to stick with that for another week, then I'll reevaluate if I can add 10 minutes on the treadmill.

Go slow to go fast!

This morning I made some ‘Tears of Agnes’ finishing salt from one of Olaf's hot sauces. It turned out good and was awesome on a hard-boiled egg and later on a tomato… I'll try it on popcorn tomorrow night! I mixed 5 tablespoons of kosher salt with one tablespoon of hot sauce and dehydrated it - next time I'll just use 4 tablespoons of salt to intensify the heat a bit more!





Oh, and the mosquitos are on a whole other level this year. I haven't been on the deck for 2 weeks except for lunch with Kirsten and Kari, but were driven back into the house when we tried to sit on the sofa… just stepping out the door is a bloodbath. I've been wearing a hoodie to take the dogs out - I can pull the hood up and at least protect the back of my head and my ears. My arms flail trying to keep them biting the rest of me.

And the rain! Still the rain! Today we are having sunshine for a change.


Awesome!

“hot sauce salt”
“no rain today”
“the field is a riot of wildflowers and butterflies”

No comments: