Monday, February 3, 2020

another soul to cling to

Sunday… I’m cuddled up on the sofa with Carm watching Dr. Who, a fluffy down blanket over my lap, plaid fleece lined shirt over my shoulders. Supper was grilled cheese sandwiches made from homemade Moroccan bread and ‘plastic’ cheese slices. Oh so good. And all washed down with an icy cold glass of chocolate milk. 


My little brother came for lunch today. We had a few laughs and ate some soup. 

Adia is getting good at sits and downs from a distance - yesterday we were practicing across the room (20+ feet away). We also did a few ‘recalls’ past food on the floor. That’s a pretty big distraction for her. Not much practice today though. And she shamed me when guests came to the door, almost dragging me off my feet to try to get to them :-/  I should have lassoed said guests into some practice rounds.

It’s really hard to write while watching something compelling on TV… so I’ll leave it at this. Before I leave though, we’ve found the writing for this season’s Dr. Who to be weak. Gone are the days of the incredible stories by Peter Moffat.

----

Monday… cloudy and not too cold. Was outside doing some practice with Adia but I couldn’t focus my attention, so guess what - she didn’t either. Practicing loose leash walking up and down the laneway is not very interesting for either of us. The thing is, I don’t get really good eye contact so I should be working harder on it, especially in a boring environment, but I’m too lazy. Maybe if I came up with a better plan for success...

Since my brother was coming for lunch on Sunday, I wanted to serve some fresh baked bread. I had a (very) dim memory of rising it in the fridge overnight so I checked the internet. hurrah. I made the dough on Saturday night, formed it into round loaves and stuck it in the fridge. Sunday morning at around 8:30 I put it in the oven on the ‘proof’ setting. It was ready to bake by 10 and out of the oven by 11. Perfect! Carm thinks the texture might have been a tiny bit better than the ‘on the day’ loaves. This may work because it is a single rise loaf.


We saw a blurb on TV that said couples that have boring lives are more likely to stay together. Well! That’s just perfect for us as our days meld into one featureless string of time, occasionally punctuated with a burst of activity that involves air travel that deposits us in some strange place.

Note to self: buy books by Michael Eric Dyson (on Bill Mayer). I can’t find it anywhere but Friday night he said the most quotable string of words about the US situation that I’ve ever heard. It almost brought tears to my eyes - awe at such incredible mastery of language, and envy that I am not gifted with the ability to spout poetry.

I’ve been playing around with ‘SnapSeed’, another photo editing software. So far, I’m happy with the results. We’ll see which is my favorite - Lightroom or SnapSeed! It’s been ages since I’ve had new software!

We had a lovely night at Jo Ellen and Don’s meeting Jo’s cousin and husband. We would have been cruising with them if Don hadn’t had a heart attack - too bad as we really hit it off!


How we need another soul to cling to, another body to keep us warm. To rest and trust; to give your soul in confidence: I need this, I need someone to pour myself into.”
~Sylvia Plath

No comments: