Sunday, February 9, 2020

safe in the bosom of my home

Eddys of snow churned against the house, blasting us with all that winter had to offer. Thankfully, Olaf and Freya had arrived safely and we were all safe in the bosom of my home. Once supper was done and Freya asleep in a warm nest of blankets, Olaf, Carm and I sat around visiting. The evening flew by and soon it was past the witching hour and nearing 1am - time for bed as it would be an early morning… little girls have early internal alarm clocks!


Saturday we putzed around for ages before making breakfast. Not as much chatter as we were all somewhat bleary-eyed. Carm looked up owl info with Freya while I nursed a coffee. Funny animal videos kept her amused until breakfast time.

A miracle: Freya had a little pot of yogurt that wasn’t fully eaten and it sat on the coffee table for an hour - Adia did NOT try to take it! Good girl! She’s been really good about not stealing food for quite a while now.



On Saturday morning I was drawn outside to revel in the awesome landscape sculpted by a blizzard.




Ever since Adia went to school on Wednesday night Spike has been gloomy. He cried quite a bit while we were gone and hasn’t really bounced back since. I’ve tried to coax him into playing training games, but he soon gives up and wanders back to bed. It breaks my heart and I’ll have to be honest, it’s dragging me down too. I tried getting him to bring my socks (which I haven’t asked for ages), he was happy and excited to do that but then went back to bed. Or maybe he isn’t feeling well physically… it doesn’t matter which, either way he’s not happy.

Oh, see… now I’m tearing up.

The day started off sunny and brutally cold, but the clouds have rolled in and it’s warmed up a bit. Carm’s gone to shovel Leo’s propane tank access paths. I have to get busy sweeping and doing some prep for supper. It’s hard to overcome inertia. Loud music might help!

Last night we had great fun at Mom and Dad’s celebrating Dad’s 78th birthday. We were all there except poor Shawn. It’s wonderful having everyone close.


I was dancing around the house shouting out the lyrics to ‘Freak Out’, when I realized how far Adia has come… in the early days she’d be the one freaking out and running away when I started my  ‘Elaine’ dancing moves. Now she just looks at me, no longer scared but perhaps wondering why I’m so weird.

Note to self: loud, fun music and dancing lifts my mood. 


“I told him I believed in hell, and that certain people, like me, had to live in hell before they died, to make up for missing out on it after death, since they didn't believe in life after death, and what each person believed happened to him when he died.”
~Sylvia Plath

1 comment:

Chuck and Anneke's RV travels said...

Great snow pictures, just the way I like to see snow:)