Saturday, January 8, 2022

comfort food

 The sewing machine cart rattled and squealed as my nemesis was rolled into the living room. Doom and gloom already cast the room in semi-darkness and now I had to mend the cover for the bedroom dog bed. Oh boy. The rip was almost a foot long and with the fabric so weak there’d be no sewing it up. 


Luckily the little quilt shop in the village had some double sided interfacing that did the trick. Using that and some old pants, we made a huge patch of sorts. It’s ugly now with a moss green patch in the middle of it’s brown countenance but Carm’s old work pants are the only thing I had laying around. Maybe I should have looked harder for some scraps of the original material, but today I did well just to get the darn thing patched (with Carm’s help).


What bugs me somewhat is that it was a beautiful cover with piping but was always covered with some fleece that was easier to wash. Well, I guess the ugly patch will be covered - always a silver lining.


I was feeling under the weather today so I didn't do much other than surf the sofa. I’m not counting the 3 loads of laundry cause Carm had a bigger hand in that than I did. But I wanted comfort food. A conversation with Kirsten highlighted several options but I ended up with chips and a coke - good choices for a stomach upset? Maybe not! I might end up with late night french toast, but we shall see.


Today marked 1 month since we said good-bye to Spike. Maybe that’s part of why I felt sick.



Awesome!


“the crunch of snow under my boots”

“finishing mending the dog bed with no sewing machine fubars”



“Love, love, love, says Percy.

And hurry as fast as you can

along the shining beach, or the rubble, or the dust.


Then, go to sleep.

Give up your body heat, your beating heart.

Then, trust.”

― Mary Oliver

No comments: