Friday, January 21, 2022

puppydemonium

 For 5 weeks our house looked like it wasn’t taken over by dogs, but now crates, dog pens, and toys are strewn everywhere. And the mess is making me happy :-)



Pat came for a little visit this afternoon, at start to socialization.


Little Lupa is starting to explore the house, leaving my side for more than a second or two. Chasing a toy is fun and so is chewing everything in sight. I thought we might need more toys but a dig through Spike’s old toy chest revealed a few more rope toys plus she’s taken over Adia’s old benebone with the pre-chewed ends for serious gnawing. She’s starting to seek out her own toys but I did have to put a box over the corner of the carpet..


Sitting is coming along well so we started with down today. I wanted to work on eye contact too but I can’t see her eyes with all the hair on her face. I ordered a few grooming tools to help tame the crazy hair. My aim is to hand strip her but we shall see - I’ll be studying youtube to learn technique.



Her barking is a bit over the top but it seems to be more at new things so I have some hope that there will be peace and quiet in our house again if we are diligent at conditioning her.


she does lie down sometimes!


It was minus 35C this morning and warmed up to -13C (balmy) with a strong sun. Even though we are in the depth of winter the sun seems stronger than it did a month ago. Still too cold to spend much time outside but Lupa did get to try on her new sweater. It took her a minute to get used to it but was distracted by Adia so she forgot about it quickly.



Awesome!


“sleeping till 7:30am”

“minus 35C this morning was a reminder of how comfortable and warm our house is”

“having a long bubble bath with Lupa sleeping beside the tub - it was carefully timed for a sleepy period”

“Lupa running to the front hall when I asked the dogs if they wanted to go outside”



“In his grief over the loss of a dog, a little boy stands for the first time on tiptoe, peering into the rueful morrow of manhood. After this most inconsolable of sorrows there is nothing life can do to him that he will not be able somehow to bear.”

― James Thurber

No comments: