Saturday, January 1, 2022

goodness and knowledge

 Happy New Year!


Gosh, it seems impossible that another year has gone by - wasn’t it just last year that we celebrated a successful Y2K? And think of all the parties we’ve had. How many bottles of bubbles have seen their end on December 31st? Remember the year I cooked a goose and a turkey for a handful of friends and family? How about the number of times an ice storm has curtailed the fun, either the whole night or part of it. Two years ago Kirsten, Shawn, and the girls joined us for their first NY back in Canada. Cathey and Pat were there too. I remember ringing 1974 in Brussels at a strange restaurant that was at the top of a long escalator. Tables full of junk food ushered in the years when I was a kid.


Last night I wore the same outfit that I’ve worn for dozens of celebrations - it’s stretchy so it goes in and out as I grow and shrink and grow some more.


Time sure flies.


Last night we had a small, covid friendly get together that lasted far into the night. I think it was just before 2am when we fumbled our way into bed. As usual I over catered. Instead of a sit down dinner, we gathered around the island for much of the night noshing on an assortment of appetisers. Music played in the background and there were a few dance steps when the right music came on.


I saw an idea on the internet for appetizer skewers so we made two types: one with cherry tomato, bocconcini cheese, tortellini; the other with olives, mushrooms, salami, tortellini. Each marinated overnight, one with basil, the other oregano. They were good! Charcuterie on a stick!


Adia was great but did take herself to bed before midnight! She likes to be part of the crowd, or at least to hang out on the edge, so it was funny to see her flaked out in the bedroom. She’s sleeping heavily today. Grace has been napping at the back of her cage all day too.


I haven’t written since Christmas Eve which leaves a whole week worth of adventure to share. Well, not so much adventure as trying to get through the rest of the year without falling into a deeper funk. I spent another full day on the sofa unable to do anything. Actually every day in the last week was hard to get through, including up until guests arrived last night. Having company may have tipped me back into the sunshine (at least that’s what I’m hoping.)


The WIlla Cather quote below made me think of Spike and my hope that his spirit was released from his old body and that his mind was freed from the shackles of dementia and that somehow he is happy. I miss him like hell.



Awesome!


“friends”

“heart to hearts”

“not much mess to clean up this morning”

“feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed on New Year's Day!”



“A person can learn a lot from a dog, even a loopy one like ours. Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things-a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty.”

― John Grogan


The earth was warm under me, and warm as I crumbled it through my fingers. Queer little red bugs came out and moved in slow squadrons around me. Their backs were polished vermilion, with black spots. I kept as still as I could. Nothing happened. I did not expect anything to happen. I was something that lay under the sun and felt it, like the pumpkins, and I did not want to be anything more. I was entirely happy. Perhaps we feel like that when we die and become a part of something entire, whether it is sun and air, or goodness and knowledge. At any rate, that is happiness; to be dissolved into something complete and great. When it comes to one, it comes as naturally as sleep.”


~Willa Cather

No comments: