Sunday, January 2, 2022

innocence is universal

 Enough snow fell last night to warrant wrestling the weapons against winter. The back deck only took 15 minutes with the snow shovel, Carm had to battle longer with the snowblower. 


The day is grey with nary a difference between land and sky. Dreary. It’s like a dirty dishcloth has obliterated the sun. 



The day didn’t start off well as I woke up crying from a dream I had about Spike dying. I have many techniques for shaking off the black dog but none of them are working. Well, I did feel okay when friends were here but I need to find something that I can do myself. I have to get a hold of myself.


We haven’t started the year off on a good foot as we’ve been eating leftover junk food. I’d taken a roast out of the freezer to make something today but I think it will keep in the fridge for another day so we’ll have more junk for supper. Chips with a 70s style dip were on the menu for a late lunch :-)


Carm washed the vacuum filter this afternoon and left it on a hot air vent to dry… I just stepped on one of the million pieces that made it up… arghhh. We were spoiled with the old dogs as they never chewed anything past the age of 1. Except Spike. He never chewed ANYTHING other than bones and dead groundhogs. He still had some of his puppyhood stuffed toys. 



Spike did lose access to his toys when Adia became part of our family. She’s (obviously) a big chewer. He used to run to find a toy at dinner time and then run around shaking it, a primordial reenactment of his ancestors killing supper.



Awesome!


“I got the snow shovelled off the back deck in under 15 minutes!”

“Adia was running in the snow and was leaping so far that she left a good 6 feet between foot prints.”

“leftover salmon with dill cream cheese on a sweet potato round.”

“a hot cup of tea after being outside with Adia.”



“No matter how close we are to another person, few human relationships are as free from strife, disagreement, and frustration as is the relationship you have with a good dog. Few human beings give of themselves to another as a dog gives of itself. I also suspect that we cherish dogs because their unblemished souls make us wish - consciously or unconsciously - that we were as innocent as they are, and make us yearn for a place where innocence is universal and where the meanness, the betrayals, and the cruelties of this world are unknown.”

― Dean Koontz


No comments: