Saturday, September 7, 2013

How Sweet the Earth Smelled

There is nothing good to say about today's weather - grey skies hinting of rain. Oh, I guess the good thing is that it didn't actually rain... Still, I managed to get a few things done in the house, and even organized a bit in the basement. Carm did some tree trimming with the new, super dooper, tree cutting saw. It worked well!

Tonight we enjoyed our first apple crisp of the year - from our own apples! Ummm, ummm good! We have so many apples on the trees, and on the ground, that the fragrance is amazing. I love walking out among the trees.

We were eating our crisp while enjoying a show about Italy (Francesco's Italy). At one point he was talking with an opera singer, and while standing in the square of an Italian town she burst into song - "O mio babbino caro" from the opera "Gianni Schicchi" by Puccini. The music had such power and emotion that after only a few moments we both had tears on our cheeks. Incredible.


“How the stars shone. How sweet the earth smelled. The orchard gate creaked, and a footstep pressed on the sand. And she entered, fragrant as a flower, and fell into my arms. Oh, sweet kisses, lingering caresses. Slowly, trembling, I gazed upon her beauty. Now my dream of true love is lost forever. My last hour has flown, and I die, hopeless, and never have I loved life more.” ― Giacomo Puccini, Tosca

No comments: