Monday, December 16, 2013

Habitual Nourishment–Just how nourishing?

I haven’t run my foods through the caloriecount.about website for a while to double check that I’m getting all my nutrients. I like to check now and again, mainly so that I can refute claims that I can’t be getting enough protein if I’m not eating meat, and where do my calcium and iron come from… A plant-based diet CAN be healthy, as long as you keep away from process foods and too many grains, especially wheat flour.

The amazing thing is that with such a nutrient rich diet my body is not hungry all the time, in its drive to meet its nutritional requirements. Sure, sometimes I think about a chicken shwarma, or bowl of pasta, but I consider those cravings more of an addiction, rather than the need for nutrients.

The results show that I’m on track nutritionally. Fats are a little high (too many seeds and nuts); iron is a little low, but just a smidge; sodium was higher than I expected, but since the doctor told me to eat more I guess it is okay – and it shows just how much sneaks into our food even when we are trying to keep the number lowish!

We were out of mixed baby greens and I suspect if I had them for lunch, along with the spinach in my smoothie (too frozen to add yesterday), then even my iron number would be well above the RDA.

image

image

image

 

If I had to choose a religion, the sun as the universal giver of life would be my god. ~Napoleon Bonaparte

No comments: